Thursday, July 20, 2006

Party Party Party

We have big parties today. Scott and I were up LATE last night getting ready for our parties. I have a dinner with 20 women from the Relief Society. We (the presidency) have one of these every so often to get different women together. This time is a mixture of new women in the ward and others who we just want to know better. It will be a really fun group. For our light summer dinner we are serving chilled peach soup along with a greek rice dish and some artisan breads. I volunteered to make the soup! Funny because I've never made it or tasted it before. I seem to always try out new recipes on new people. Kind of scary. I made the soup last night though and it is FABULOUS! I will include the recipe so that you can use it if you are also doing a "light summer dinner". Enjoy!
Scott had a lunch party at his work today. He volunteered to make the pulled pork. Here we go again . . . he has never made pulled pork before! I guess we are both kind of daring. He took a lot of advice from Teresa (who we hear makes delicious pulled pork) and it turned out so good. Seriously. He cooked the pork in the crock pot on low for 24 hours with some of Wingers Amazing Sauce. Mmmmmmm! Delicious.


Peach Soup

1 can (29 oz) peach halves in heavy soup
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground white pepper
1 cup white grape juice
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
sliced fresh peaches (garnish)

Drain peach halves, reserving 1 cup of the syrup. Place peaches in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover and process until peaches are pureed. Transfer to a medium-sized saucepan; add cinnamon, white pepper, white grape juice and reserved heavy syrup.

In a 1-cup measure, blend cornstarch and water; set aside. Bring peach mixture to boiling, stirring constantly. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.

In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and lemon juice until blended; whisk into peach mixture, reserving some sour cream mixture for garnish, if desired. Pour soup into a container; refrigerate. Serve soup well chilled. Transfer soup to bowls; garnish with sour cream swirls or sliced peaches. Makes 4 servings. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

laura said...

Good for you!! I was busy last night too, making delicous quesadillas(sp). It was simple. Just cut up cheese- lay the strips in a tortilla and cook in a pan on medium heat. Serve immediately. Looks like we all enjoy daring new recipes!
PS. I'd like the recipe for the pulled pork. I think Brian might die if I told him we were having a chilled peach soup for dinner.

Scott B. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Both parties sounded great. If you have any leftover peach soup, I'd like a tablespoon taste to see what it is like before making a whole recipe myself. I definitely don't want any of Scott's recipe for soup.

Scott B. said...

Okay so it isn't nasty but it was last night when I tried it warm. When it was chilled it was actually pretty good. I ate a whole bowl.

Teresa said...

Mmm, Mmm that pork looks good. I hope it was a hit at work. It makes me want to make some of my own. The peach soup sounds very interesting. What would you eat it with? Great job on the increasing culinary skills to both of you.