Thursday, July 13, 2006

July 11: Emma's Birthday

July 11 is the day that Brian and Rachel had their first daughter, Emma. She was still born. This was 6 years ago. Every July 11 they celebrate her and her birth. It is a really special thing to be a part of. We went to the cemetery where she is buried and stood around the grave site. Brian opened with a prayer and then we all sang "Families Can Be Together Forever". After this Rachel said some beautiful things about how happy she is to be a mother. We then sang "I Am a Child of God" and Brother Palmer gave another prayer. Each year we are asked to bring a pink flower to leave there. Scott and I brought a beautiful, big pink rose. Also each year, Brian and Rachel do some kind of service in Emma's honor. This year they donated 250 beginning reading books to a classroom that had nothing.

I am so happy that I get to participate in this day with Brian and Rachel. We love them so much. I love the way that they have taken a very painful experience and made it a special way to remember Heavenly Father's plan for us and our families. I am so grateful for the knowledge that we can be together forever. This day with them really puts things into a more eternal perspective.



 Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Teresa said...

That is an amazing story. That is so wonderful the way they remember their first little girl. Thanks for sharing your day.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing about this special day and sharing some pictures. It is a bit easier for all of us to meet together on Emma's birthday and remember her and know that someday we will be with her again.

laura said...

We're sad we missed it this year. Sounds like it was beautiful again. Thanks for sharing what you did.