Friday, November 10, 2006

What happened to our routine?

I need some input from more experienced moms. I don't know what is going on here. Brielle is slowly trying to sabotage her nice clockwork-like sleep schedule. I really liked knowing exactly when she would need to go to sleep. And I liked being able to just put her in her bed and have her cuddle up with bear and go right to sleep. Well, things are changing. I have no idea when nap times are anymore. She stays awake later in the morning and if I put her down too early, guessing she is tired, she just plays in her crib forever. Afternoon naps are later and shorter or not at all. This makes for varied bed times and a grumpy girl. What is she doing? Will we have a different sleep routine any time soon?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That always happens! Just when you've got them on a schedule, they change something. It could be that they stop wanting you to leave them alone (that's Abby's thing lately, major protest crying for a minute or two), or that they need longer in between naps now because they don't get tired as quickly, or any other reason like a tummy ache or a cold or whatever. Something is always messing with the sleep schedule.

I think sometimes it helps to think in terms of how long it's been since they woke up. I'm not sure what schedule Brie was on before, but if you add a half an hour to the awake time, that could help.

Also, if she's just playing in bed, at least it's still "nap time" for you and she'll fall asleep if she really needs to.

I'm not really the best at giving sleep advice because I'm not sure what I did or do or what's best. But the best thing I've done is to just not worry about it. Then I'm not stressed about their sleep schedule, and I just watch for the tired signs with a little help from the clock, rather than the other way around.