Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Kirkin' O' Th' Tartan

Sunday was the annual Kirkin' O'Th'Tartan. This is a really neat tradition that both Scott and I love to attend. In Salt Lake City it is held at the First Presbyterian Church. The church itself is beautiful inside and out. We get to participate in their church service and the best part is listening to the choir, trumpets and bag pipe band play. It is awesome to hear inside that church. It really booms. The Kirkin'O'Th'Tartan is a service in which each of the clans tartans are blessed. A procession of Scots representing their clan and dressed in their tartan walk up to the minister holding a piece of the tartan and he gives a special prayer/blessing to each one. Scott and his dad lead the procession and each received a blessing on the Buchanan clan. I think it was very special for both Scott and his Dad to do this together.

The minister starts the process by saying:
"Oh behalf of all Scots away from Scotland we present these tartans before almighty God and ask His blessings on these His servants."

The pipe band played Amazing Grace, which is always amazing! My favorite song that they play though is called "Highland Cathedral". It is awesome to hear the bag pipes and the drums playing this. Here are the words:

There is a land far from this distant shore
Where heather grows and Highland eagles soar
There is a land that will live ever more
Deep in my heart, my Bonnie Scotland

Though I serve so far away
I still see your streams, cities and dreams
I can't wait until the day
When I'll come home once more

And so Lord keep me from the harm of war
Through all its dangers and the battle's roar
Keep me safe until I'm home once more
Home to my own in Bonnie Scotland

4 comments:

Sue said...

That is an inspiring thing to do. It sounds so Scottish. The song makes me feel homesick on behalf of Fred. I am happy that he and Scott get to do that together.

Jessica said...

Lookin GOOD in the kilts. That seems like an awesome cultural event. I have been fascinated recently (as I work with ALL immigrant kids) about people's fond feelings toward their homeland.

Dunn Family said...

I tagged you Alicia! Go to my blog for details!

Teresa said...

Awesome. Like Jessica I have come to a greater awareness of keeping homeland traditions when you are away from home. Luckily Germany is a lot like home, and is even starting to celebrate the "American holidays" (Halloween). But Thanksgiving is still ours, and we still treat it like a Holiday even though no one around us is celebrating. :) I think it is great that Fred has kept up with traditions and his love of Scotland his whole life.