Friday, November 02, 2007

Halloween: The Aftermath

Halloween was a fun day. We are now trying to get over Brie's newly acquired candy addiction!

On Halloween Brie and Ava received a package in the mail from "Grandma Great" (my grandma). It was so exciting. There were two very cute orange knitted hats from grandma. Perfect for a cold Halloween night.
Ava is a real smiler now! I love it. Here she is modeling her hat.

I made Curried Butternut Squash Apple soup for our Halloween dinner. Nothing too creative, but it was orange. Then the real fun began. We took Brie trick or treating up and down our street. She went to the first door and wasn't quite sure what was going to happen. She said, "Trick or Treat" and amazingly enough . . . she got candy!!! Wow! This is a great game! The next door she went to she just held out her bag and yelled out, "CANDY!".Brie's first trick or treating door. Dale was excited to see her.

We then drove to trick or treat at grandma and papa's house, Greg's house and then on to see Brie's cousins.
Now we are left with a huge bowl of candy. And now every morning Brie wakes up saying "CANDY"! And now when I say we need to eat breakfast or lunch instead of candy she throws herself on the floor crying. Halloween is fun, but how do we come down from it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, as they get older they will actually eat all of breakfast or lunch so they can get the treat of the day. Jazlyn and I had this very same conversation this morning. I made her a deal if and only if she ate all her breakfast she would get a treat for the day. So what does she do? Eats her toast and ham and not her egg, I reminded her that was not part of the deal, so later I saw her trying to down her egg without tasting it.. It worked! You can also hide it and sometimes they forget about it. After a couple months, you can just throw it away.. This worked for me. Good Luck

Anonymous said...

I'm not much into sugar so until Jeni was in school we were always gone Halloween night. Once she got into school, she learned the truth. So I would let them eat all they wanted that night (within reason). Then the candy would disappear. Easy come, easy go. They didn't know it was me or that it was supposed to be there the next morning. I would take out the good pieces and hide them for special treats and throw out the rest. It worked until they were teen-agers and by then the frenzy was over. Good Luck. It's a long holiday season.

laura said...

This year I discovered, I don't really like the trick or treating thing. Loads of sugar causing fights, tantrums and bad behavior. It will all end tomorrow when all bags o candy get thrown away. I'm so excited for this source of contention to be gone from our home.

Teresa said...

Ava is still beautiful. and I love the crochet bright colored beenies from Grandma. How cool that the girls got some. You just gotta show Brie who's boss! haha

A, M and S said...

Each child and age is different. For where you are, hide it, throw it away, get rid of it, and let her see she is eating the last piece.

Later, negotiate, how many pieces, etc. I love that my girls get home from trick-or-treating, sort through their stash, select the top 20 or so (each), and give the rest out. We put a bucket on the front porch with a note this year and were surprised there was any left at 10:00.
R