Thursday, October 25, 2007

Discovery Walk

When Brie was younger we used to go on a lot of walks. I loved the chance to be outside and get some exercise. She loved to be pushed in the stroller and snooze or watch everything going by. We would walk around the neighborhood or go to the park and do a few laps. I loved it!

Our walks are different now. Today it took us FOREVER just to get out the door because Brie wanted to wear a short little sleeveless sun dress, so we compromised on a more "wintery" dress. Then Brie wanted to put her shoes and socks on herself and then she insisted that she find her gloves and hat for the walk. Then the walk itself takes forever. I've decided to forget the exercise and just let Brie enjoy the walk.

I call these "discovery walks". It takes us 30 minutes just to go up the street. I don't say "come on let's go", I just let her check things out and take her time. Brielle stops to see every pine cone, every rock, every leaf and every flower. She stops to say hi to any dog that barks, any neighbor we see, any decoration in someones yard and the mail lady. She runs through the grass up and down hills. She jumps off of curbs and wants to throw anything on the sidewalk into the street. It's fun to just let her investigate and discover all these things for herself.

Here are some pictures from our walk today:
A "shaker" leaf! Cool!
We came walking up and saw the church and Brie went running toward it saying, "I'm coming church! Good morning church." over and over. Hopefully that feeling lasts. Sadly, it was locked. She loves church so much because she knows there are toys and snacks behind those doors.
Little Ava enjoying the ride.
Soon enough the fun is over and Brie starts whining and saying, "Nap time! Sleep! Please!". (And we still don't have a double stroller.)We made it home. Whenever we leave the house Brie says, "Good bye scarecrows". When we made it back home she was excited to say hi.

6 comments:

laura said...

Well, you win the award for most patient mother. I can NOT stand walking really slow. I would rather race to a park and then let them explore there. I think I will try to follow your example- there's a lot to see in the neighborhood.

Kam said...

This is so cute! I just took pictures of Samantha this morning that look VERY similar to Brie's "explorations." I hope you don't think I'm copying when they show up on our blog in a few days -- it's a post I've also been wanting to write. So funny how the tiniest things can be sooo amusing to them. Sam's big discovery lately is crunching the leaves and waving to people in cars stopped at traffic lights.

Teresa said...

I love the discovery walks. What a great idea. I try also to have at least some places that we go where I don't have to be hurrying everyone along. Brie's hair is looking Wonderful by the way. And Ava is absolutely adorable. I want to see her!

Anonymous said...

Brielle looks so pretty in her pink outfit and white shoes and socks. And what a beautiful day for a discovery walk. You are such a good and patient mother. Enjoy every minute with your two precious girls.

Dunn Family said...

The nature walk is such a good idea! Too bad this is such a new neighborhood, there really isn't much too find here. Poor Zoey. :( I will have to think of something creative. Lets do get together soon. We miss you and would love to see you. Give us a call!

laura said...

Great idea! I need to do that with Abigail. You have two very beautiful girls.

Oh, we are coming at Christmas time so we'll get to see you!!!!