Thursday, March 20, 2008

Play Date . . . . Gone Bad.

So, I am new at this whole "play date" thing. We never did play dates when I was little. We just ran out the front door and played with all the neighborhood kids up and down the street until we heard my dad whistling for us to come home. It was great. Brielle has reached an age when I guess play dates begin. Another mom from church called me last week and asked if her daughter, Marissa, and Brielle could have a play date. Sure. I offered for them to come to our house and kind of expected that the mom would come too and would just hang out while the girls played. Yesterday at 10am Marissa was dropped off and her mom went home to paint.

We were excited to have Marissa come play. I think it is good for Brie to play with kids her age and it's especially good for her to have to learn to share her toys. The girls played very well together for awhile. We made little chicks in an egg for Easter/Spring. Brie showed Marissa ALL the toys and I do mean every last toy. They had fishy crackers and apple juice for a snack. Sounds good huh?
It was all down hill from there. Soon everything Marissa touched, Brie would try to take away and tell her, "That's mine!". I was getting Brie in trouble for not sharing every 5 seconds. She started hiding everything by me so I could protect it or something. Then there was yelling. Then there was pushing. Then Brie said, "I want Marissa go home!" Marissa felt the same way. She headed to the door and started trying to put on her shoes and coat. They both ended up sitting in front of the door (fighting) in the hopes that Marissa's mom would come and take her.

The fighting at the doorway was exactly this over and over and over:

Marissa: You stinky! (She can't talk well though so it sounded to Brie like she was saying, You Winky!)
Brie: No, I mad!
Marissa: No, you stinky!
Brie: No, I mad!

I was trying to help them to be nice and not fight, but was eventually laughing so hard that I got out the camera and started filming them.

6 comments:

Buchanan House said...

Maybe a SHORT play day (no longer than an hour) would be best at this age. Your friend apparently wanted a baby sitter so she could be free for a while.

Teresa said...

That is hilarious! Yeah, I have never had a babysitting job that was called a playdate. From my perspective the Mom does usually stay.
Brielle's voice is so cute I love to hear it. She talks really well too. And I love her little Boston outfit.
Well, I am sure you were happy when the "playdate" was over and Brie could go back to life as usual. :)

Sue said...

I agree with Teresa, we had LOTS of play dates, we just called them babysitting and there were always a bunch of kids. What would have happened if Marissa was going to be there for a long time? They would have just played separately. It wll be interesting to see how excited Brielle is for her next play date. Maybe she just doesn't get along that well with Marissa.

A, M and S said...

Siena is the youngest to have play dates where the mom doesn't stay. It is a new phenomenon for us, with just one friend, and only after both moms watched the children play together at both houses and talked about it (and are both the youngest of three). The others were at least 6 before the mother didn't stay. Even at birthday parties until they are 4 or 5 the moms stay. I think play dates start when the kids are less work together than they are apart. Definitely older.

R

Amber said...

I think play dates are great, but I agree that they were a little weird to me too at first. but now I have adjusted, and with some of Cameron's really good buddies I like them to stay as long as they can 2-3 hrs or more (both of my kids are entertained) I have just started thinking about setting up playdates with Sienna since she always wants to go to friends houses with Cameron, I figured I better start inviting some little girls over for her to play with so she doesn't feel like she is getting left behind in the dust. I have never felt like it was babysitting though (except with one little boy that comes by unannounced ALL-THE-TIME to see if he can come in and play). Playdates are just fun for the little ones who are not old enough to go out on their own like you said you did when you were little. Cameron is five and I still won't let him play around the neighboorhod without one of us outside with him.

the House of Payne said...

Ha, ha! Your cheese is stinky!