Sunday, September 09, 2007

Bringing Home Baby Ava

I'm back. It is so good to be home and back to Scott and Brielle and our house and my blog. Thank you so much to all of you who left us comments about the birth of little Ava. It was so nice to read all of them and feel your love and excitement for us. Thank you. Thank you.
This experience of having another little girl has definitely been amazing. It's such a miracle. I must say though that the birth of Brielle was way easier! My water broke, I went to the hospital, they couldn't tell me to go home, they gave me an epidural and I didn't feel much of anything at all. Well, this time around I was not so lucky! I know all of you who have teased me are smiling right now. Man! It hurt!! Bad! I started having contractions at 5:30am and they fluctuated through the day at about 7 - 30 minutes apart. They finally were taken care of with an epidural at 9:00pm! Thank heaven! It was such a long and hard and painful and frustrating day to be hurting so bad, but not knowing if the labor was real or not. We spent the day driving to Fred and Rama's to drop Brie off, back to our house, to the hospital, back to Fred and Rama's, back to the hospital (didn't go in, walked around the mall instead to see what was happening), back to Fred and Rama's and then finally to the hospital again. I was beyond THRILLED when they said I had dilated to a 5 and they would keep me. I was even more excited when the nurse said, "Would you like your epidural now?".
I was in total awe when they put little Ava on me just after being delivered. She was gorgeous! She looked chubby to me. She has little rolls. She didn't look like Brie to me, but is looking more and more like her I think. She has been so good. She is a great sleeper and a great eater. She is wide awake and alert more than Brie was. We are so excited about her and I can't wait to get to know her. She's absolutely perfect!

We got to leave the hospital Friday night at 10pm (48 hours after delivery). It was crazy to be bringing another little girl home. On the drive I was thinking this little baby was so safe in a warm, cozy, watery home and now she's strapped into a car seat flying down the freeway at 70 mph. Poor thing. She's been through a lot.
Ava kept us up most of that first night. I think mostly because her little noises were new to us, so we heard every one. She slept ALL day her first day though. It was all I could do to get her to wake up and feed her. Yesterday was our first day home. Here are some pictures of our day.
Baby Ava sleeping on Uncle Bryce. Bryce came up from BYU and spent the day with us. It was great to have him here to play with Brie and nap with Ava.
Brie is excited about all of the new baby stuff that is coming out of storage.
Bryce and Ava napping in preparation for the BYU football game.
Scott took Brielle to Build A Bear for her first time. Scott thought it would be fun for her to have something fun and new. He had high hopes that she would choose to make the monkey or the turtle. He was very disappointed when from the moment they walked in she wanted a big, fluffy, pink bear. That is what she came home with and she LOVES this new bear!
Brielle and daddy giving the new bear a bath.
Brielle and her new Build A Bear.
Scott took care of everything for me yesterday. He even strapped Brielle and the new pink fluffy bear onto his back (she was so excited) while he mowed the lawn.
My mom can't be here for the new baby (she's in Germany), but somehow when mom can't be around there are siblings that can be when a baby is born. We are so lucky that Landon came to town from Virginia and that Bryce could come up from Provo. Yesterday they set up two TVs and a surround sound stereo system so that they could watch the BYU and Utah games at the same time. Nice huh? This was Scott's heaven. Here they are with lasagna dinner.

9 comments:

Bayless said...

She is cute and pretty in pink. She looks so much bigger than Brielle did. Adjustment to 2 was a little hard at first but I love having to kids. Good luck!! Can't wait to meet her.
Kim

Jessica said...

It looks like you all had so much fun! Ava is adorable! She is such a pretty and perfect looking baby and looks so tiny when she is laying on Bryce. How fun that you all got to hang out!

laura said...

Ava is gorgeous. She almost looks like a C-section baby with that perfect head. It's great to see Bryce and Landon there. I would love that. With a new baby you don't want to go out, but you still want to have fun. How perfect that they could both be there for the games. Did Utah win???

Emily said...

Hey Alicia! This is Emily (Waite). I visit your blog from time to time (found it on Teresa's). I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your beautiful baby girl! Your family is beautiful and it's nice to see you doing so well.

Kam said...

Wow, do babies get any cuter than that?! I love the picts. The one of Scott and Brie and Pink Bear mowing the lawn is great -- something Sam would never consent to, as she FEARS the lawn mower. You look great, Alicia, and so happy! Can't wait to cuddle and hold that baby... someday?

Todd and Anna said...

She looks so cute and awake in some of those pictures, I can't belive it. Glad you are all home and doing well, we are very excited for you.
Scott- nice work on the build a bear, and even carrying Brie in the backpack while you mow!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great Alicia, I'am so happy for you and your family. Hey is that 2 TV's in the front room? What is up with that? Must of been Scotts Idea?

Dunn Family said...

She is so beautiful. Seriously, she is so cute. I can't wait to meet her! you look great too Alicia. Sounds like you guys are doin good and I will be there soon to see you.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You two surely have beautiful little girls!