Our long 16 hour day of traveling back home went quite well. I was again nervous for the flight with Brie. We flew all the way from Frankfurt to San Fransisco. The plane ride was over 11 hours. We were on a row of four and right in the middle. Sounds awful, huh? Well, our perfect little traveling girl was again perfect on this flight. She only slept for about two hours of it. She played, read, watched a couple DVDs, ate snacks and flirted with the people behind us. I was so happy when we finally got her home to bed. We all went to sleep about 10pm (6am German time) and slept through our first night back! In the morning we were back down for naps by 10am and then got up to go to church at 1pm. We were tired during church, but made it through the day and I'd say we are almost back to our normal Utah time. Now we just have to do piles of laundry and restock the house with food. Oh yeah, and then pack, move and find a house. Yikes.
I am so grateful that our little Brielle did so incredibly well on this long trip that her parents dragged her on. She was such a good traveler. I never expected her to do as well as she did. I was nervous for her. She adjusted well to the time change. She slept through almost every night. She learned to take naps in the car or in the stroller or on a plane or train or bus. She adjusted to new people and new beds and new places. She went to bed late many nights and handled it ok.
Brielle sleeping in her stroller in the Frankfurt Haun airport as we waited to board our flight to Scotland.
Brie had to get her diaper changed in many different places. This is one of the more comfortable spots. I'm changing her diaper in the trunk of the rental car in Scotland.
Edinburgh was cold and windy our first evening there. Kamber and Brian luckily had this blanket in their car, so we wrapped Brie up in it in her stroller. She was very cozy.Brielle got lots of rides on the suitcases. Here Scott is giving her a ride to the car from our Marriott hotel in Edinburgh.
Breakfast at the Marriott in Edinburgh. We just had fruit and juice and crackers from our trip to the grocery store.
Every once in awhile, Brielle got to watch the Wiggles or Kid Songs on the DVD player. Here she is watching Kid Songs as we drove to Holland.
Brielle sleeping in Samantha's nice, warm and dry stroller as we walked all through London.
Praying for her food at Kamber's house in London. Samantha must have inspired her, because she ate quite well there.
Brielle loved the bus rides because she didn't have to be strapped in. Here she is smiling and waving good bye to Kamber, Brian and Samantha out the window.
She enjoyed many good snacks as she rode around on Scott's back. Here she is gnawing on some Scottish shortbread. She loved it. Don't we all?
Brie was the only one that even remotely liked having to eat at McDonalds while in Europe. We had to do it twice just because it is the only thing that is fast and along the highway. I have to say, they call things the same, but they are not the same. Everything I tasted was NASTY. Brie liked this little packet of apple sauce that you suck out the top though.
We had very few problems traveling with Brie. We worried about her not eating when we got to Germany, but then she discovered bratwurst and that is what she had for every meal. She was a bit more whiny than usual, but that is understandable. She got a cold, but got over it quickly. Our only problem was that the cough from the cold lingered. Every time she would cough hard as she was trying to fall asleep, it would make her throw up. So, we dealt with throw up in the car a few times, throw up in the stroller, throw up on a plane from London to Frankfurt and throw up in a hotel pack 'n play. This also meant that I was the one thrown up on most of the time. At least we usually had back up clothes and could take care of things easily. Poor Brie.
Brielle covered in throw up! This was one of the many throw up incidents. We had just started on our trip to Germany from Holland. We stopped, cleaned her up and changed her into pajamas and she slept the rest of the way home.
5 comments:
I LOVE all the pictures! and she really did do wonderful with the jet-lag. I thought you guys would have a much harder time than you did. I am glad that Brielle appreciates McDonald's food as much as the Hughes family. I guess when you know it is the only fast food available, you learn to love it(and we do).
I was just saying that you hadn't mentioned Brielle's behavior on the trip. I thought surely, there had to have been a meltdown at some point. I can't believe what a trooper she was!! Thank heaven for Binkies, white teddy bears, strollers and DVD players. She will love looking back on these pictures someday- well, maybe not the throw up one. That one could have been left out. Oh, and the one of her sleeping in the stroller face on, she looks SO much like Alicia. It's the shape of her eyes.
Thanks for sharing so many pictures of Brielle. She is such a sweetheart, and I really missed her. I'm glad you three (four) are back safe and sound, and I'm looking forward to the new events coming into your future life here in Utah--a new home and a new baby. Love you.
1. Shouldn't it be find a house, pack and move? That's how we have always done it.
2. It is great that kids are so resilient.
3. Scott told me that they only place Brie throws up is BYU.
I love the travelog for Brielle. Children really are resilent and easy to move. Good for her for doing so well. A lot of the reason was due to good planning.
Post a Comment