Monday, April 02, 2007

General Conference Weekend

We had a wonderful general conference weekend, as usual. We had beautiful spring weather, good food, good company and enjoyed great and inspiring talks from church leaders.

On Saturday, Scott, Brie and I had a good breakfast together and then went on a walk. We love walks and Brie especially loves walks. She wants to see the dogs and the birds and smell the flowers, etc. etc. When we got back home for the first session, my brother Bryce arrived to spend the day with us. It was fun to have him. The talk that most spoke to me and inspired me to change was Elder Holland's talk. I loved all of what he said. I don't have direct quotes, but what I remember that really hit me was when he spoke of us using the same voice we pray fervently with, bear testimony with, teach our children with being the same voice that we often times use to criticize or talk negatively about others with. I really hope to change the way I talk about people some times. Between morning and afternoon sessions we were able to fulfill Scott's dream of seeing "Blades of Glory". He has been waiting anxiously for this movie for over a month and it did not disappoint. We took Bryce and we all laughed very hard through most of the movie. It really was hilarious - if you like that kind of humor (Dad).

On Sunday morning I was so excited to finally make German pancakes. I started on the recipe and I thought it said to pour the batter into an 11 x 17 size pan, so I told Scott to call his parents and invite them over because "we are going to have SOOO much food"! Well, turns out you really pour it into an 11 x 7 and I only had an 8 x 8. So, we each got one little square of German pancake and had to quickly whip up some regular pancakes too. It was fun to have Fred and Rama here though and the German pancakes were delicious and so, so easy. I will include the recipe at the bottom.
We enjoyed more conference and more walks the rest of Sunday. What a beautiful day. The talk that I liked most from Sunday was Elder Ballard's talk about the Bible. I've been thinking lately that I really should read the New Testament instead of always sticking with the Book of Mormon. It was interesting to me that he said that the scriptures we love are the ones we are most familiar with. I love the Book of Mormon. I would also like to feel that same love and familiarity with the Bible.
German Pancake Recipe
I definitely recommend this recipe. It is almost like eating crepes, but a whole lot easier to make. I want to try them with strawberries or lemon juice and sugar on top. Enjoy.
Ingredients:
3 Eggs
½ cup Sifted Flour
¼ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Baking Powder
½ cup Milk
3 Tbsp Butter (melted)
Directions:
Beat eggs well. Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together in separate bowl. Add eggs to dry ingredients. Stir in milk and butter. Pour into a 11 x 7 greased pan so that the mixture is about ¼ inch thick. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees. German pancakes will rise in the oven, but fall when removed. Cut into squares and serve with butter, powdered sugar, lemon wedges, or syrup.
Serve warm and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They were very good pancakes. Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try it myself. Conference was excellent, and President Hinckley is so amazing for his age--a true prophet.

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad someone finally posted the Apostles next to Will Ferrel and John Heder in spandex bodysuits.