I'm coming to all of you moms (and dads) for any advice you can offer for our upcoming trip. We fly to Germany next Thursday!! I'm trying to get us ready to go. I am so nervous about trying to contain Brielle on a flight that long. I need advice from you on things that you have tried or would suggest on how to keep a 16 month old happy, us happy and all of the other passengers on the plane happy on our flight.
I did schedule the flights so that we fly to Chicago during her afternoon nap. We then get out for a while and then get back on the plane to fly to Germany at her bedtime. So, hopefully, she will sleep.
What toys, candy, bribes, drugs do you suggest???? Please help. Any ideas on how to make the transition to an 8 hour time difference easier?
6 comments:
Duct tape!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is good for:
1. Repairs
2. Restraints
3. Closing wounds
4. Silencing
5. Entertaining
6. Decorating
7. Making origami
8. Keeping shoes on feet
9. Name badges
10.Eyeshades
I could go on but you get the idea.
Wow! We should have consulted Roger for our latest trip. I'm sure duct tape would have made a nice improvised seat belt for those Egyptian taxis.
No seriously, I have to say I always get myself worked up about how terrible it will be, and it's always much easier than I expect. Bring a new toy with lights and buttons, books, snacks, and a few spare pacifiers (if she's still taking one). Call in advance and see if you can get a bulkhead seat with a bassinet... Brie's still little enough to fit, I'm sure. Good luck with your little traveller!! can't wait to see you all three!
Benadryl works for some kids and Dramamine works for others. My recommendation is that you test it out first. Start on Monday, give her Benadryl, Tuesday 1/4 tablet Dramamine, Wednesday try Nyquil, Thursday try mixing all three. She'll sleep for sure.
Of course you know about the DVD player. And suckers(tootsie pops)- any type of candy that takes a long time to eat. Books- like the word books that take forever- you have to point to each thing and discuss it. Also, when Kea was little she loved sorting- on a flight to TX I brought two little containers(film canister size)- I filled them with colored buttons. Kea spent probably an hour putting them in piles, putting them all in one, then the other, then dumping them out and starting over. Buttons are nice because if they drop- so what. Be careful with Benadryl. We tried it once and Davin did fall asleep, but for only 45 minutes and then he woke, but was still tired and really irritated. Good luck!
Laura's advice is great! and if you find kid headphones for a DVD player she may even listen to music for a minute. Just bring lots of different things to help entertain. Has she ever played with playdough? the thing that always surprises me is that they are so happy to have Mom's undivided attention with new games, they are OK with not walking around. We were the most nervous when we came here with Nathan at that age, and Steve bought Dramamine. He cut one pill in to fourths then smashed it in to his juice. It made Nathan really lethargic and he just sat on Steve's lap and watched movies the whole time, between sleep. You could always bring that as a back up.
Post a Comment