Monday, September 15, 2008

Back To Boston Trip: The End

Well, our trip had to come to an end and so do the posts and pictures. Thanks for coming along.

I should say that we had an absolutely incredible time just like I have told and shown here, BUT I have not told of the moments we didn't snap a picture of to remember forever. Yes, going on a trip for 17 days is long and can be exhausting. It is especially that way when you have two young kids with you. It was worth it. It was so fun. I would do it again and not change a thing. It was such an unforgettable chance to be with our friends again in the place we love, but it was hard too. Here is what was hard:

1. Ava was so sick the first few days. I was up almost all night with her coughing and a 105 degree temperature that would not break.

2. All four of us slept in the same room the whole time. We were always afraid of one girl waking up the other and I was awake a lot with every little noise they made.

3. Scott got Ava's cold. He was miserable, his head was throbbing and he only whispered for a couple of days.

4. We were so tired by the last few days, but still had so much we wanted to do and people to see.

5. Ava was ticked that she was always in a car seat, stroller or front pack. She just wanted to roam and was sick of being confined. She cried every time she was in the car if she was not asleep.

6. Brie had potty accidents that don't happen at home anymore. She didn't always know where to run to a potty. I didn't always have extra clothes.

7. We ate at restaurants every day. We tried to do some groceries, but had to eat out a lot. It's so expensive and usually turned into one of us shoving our food in while the other wrestled and entertained kids and then switch. Not too pleasant.

Even with all of this, we really did enjoy our last days in Beantown. We packed it in and just kept going. We saw everyone and did everything. Here is the end.

Just the Buchanans went to The New England Aquarium. It was so cool and the girls were thrilled with the fish. Especially the ones they got to touch.
And then . . . on to a Boston must . . . Legal Sea Foods! Oh, their clam chowda is THE BEST!
We walked from Legals all the way to the Esplanade on the Charles River. Our last long walk through Boston. We stopped at the State House where Brie delivered the parking ticket she found and had carried all through the city. Sorry to someone.
We arrived on the Esplanade at sunset for a concert at the Hatch Shell. The Hatch Shell sits right along the Charles River. Here is the view of the famous Citgo sign.The concert was called "Red Sox and Apple Pie". Perfect!
They even had the Red Sox World Series trophies on display.
Brie and Samantha danced (and fought) the night away.
Kamber and I got to go to an early morning session at the temple. It was nice to be there with her. We worked at that temple together for a few years and it means a lot to both of us.Another day at Walden Pond with everyone. Mmmmm . . . it was soooooo very hard to get out and say good bye.
Our good friends, Mike and Marissa, had their new little baby boy while were there. He came early and we were excited that we got to meet him. He is so cute and Mike and Marissa seem to already be perfect parents. That afternoon with them was wonderful. I really miss them.We celebrated Ava's first birthday and took the kiddos to the Boston Children's Museum to play. That Museum is amazing. I don't know about Ava, be the rest of us had a great time! Scott was happy to get to meet up with some of the old co-workers that he still keeps in touch with. We had dinner together at good ole' Bertucci's. It was time to say good-bye to Jeni. She came to Boston with her little daughter, Sara Katherine, from Alabama. We were so glad to be with her again and so sad to say good bye.
Last, but not least, some good hang out time was had at the Wilson home. Tim and Becky Wilson let us stay with them at their house for most of our trip. Isn't that incredibly nice? They were SO GOOD to us. We will never be able to repay them or thank them enough! They gave us what we desperately needed - a real home to come home to. It was great! We had a grand time being roomies and were so glad to get to spend so much time with them and their sweet Caroline again.

The End. Good bye Boston. Thanks for the memories!

6 comments:

Laura said...

This sounds and looks like so much fun! What an amazing trip and such a great opportunity! 17 days! I love to hear the stories about the not so fun parts, because I'm sure you'll look back and remember those parts as the times when your family grew even closer. Plus I can relate to those same situations with our own kids and vacations. I sometimes feel like I already know you, even though I only read your posts and haven't actually met you in person. This is Laura, by the way. I work with Scott. Your little girls are so adorable!

Roger said...

Speaking for just me, I think that taking your kids with you was the best decision you made.

Sue said...

I loved this wrap up, you could feel your excitement and we got to see what you did when you weren't being tourists. Caroline, though cute as can be, doesn't quite hit sweet in the picture. Does Tim's family own that diner? I am so happy that you had such a fabulous time, you will have to make an album so that the girls remember it.

laura said...

How fun. At the end of long trips, you have wonderful memories and pictures, and you fall in love with your own home and beds all over again. I love that Childrens Museum- I still have not found anything that even comes close to that. And I must know- who won the Settlers game?

Becky W. said...

We would do it all again too! Thank you for coming to our home and making it so fun. We miss you. Our house is too quiet now and our bathroom needs more people in it.

Thank you for coming! Come again and again. How about a Boston reunion every 5 years?

turleybenson said...

I'm so glad we made the cut! Thanks for writing a post about how cute my baby is!
(Wait, that IS what this post was about, right?)
We loved seeing you guys. Too bad we couldn't see more of you.