Friday, June 13, 2008

Chunken Her Up!

We went to Ava's 9 month well visit with Dr./Uncle Brian today. She is healthy and hitting all of her milestones. I love this girl. She really is the cutest baby I've ever seen. She is so happy and squeals and laughs when she sees me, Brie or Scott. She also slept from 7 pm to 7:30 am last night without waking up!! Yahoo! That made me love her even more.

Right now she can:

* Crawl on her hands and knees
* Crawl up the stairs
* Walk along furniture
* Say ma-ma and da-da
* Recognizes who brie-brie and da-da are when I say their names
* Claps her hands
* Pincher grab EVERYTHING and put it directly into her mouth
* Eat lots of real foods. Favorites are edamame, avocado, tofu, chicken, turkey, corn, corn bread, french fries, cheerios, kix, blueberries, potato, hot dog and now chocolate chip cookies.

Ava weighs 14 lbs. 10 oz. and that puts her in the 0 percentile. She is 26 1/4 inches (8th percentile) and her head is 42 cm. (consistently been the 3rd percentile).

The whole weight issue was discussed. Just like Brie she continued to drop in the percentiles until now she is at 0. She actually weighs more than a pound less than Brie at this age. Brian gave me ideas on how to chunken her up. How to get more calories in her diet. I really do try. I also think though that she/they are not guaranteed to always be small so I am concerned about starting unhealthy habits like juice, chocolate milk, eating sticks of butter (Brie) or tubs of sour cream and cream cheese (also Brie). I want to teach them healthy eating/snacking habits now so they will stay with them as they get older, but she also needs to gain some weight.

Any ideas?

8 comments:

Randi said...

I, too, am in the zero percentile for weight, and it is a constant struggle. I find that what works best for me is a lot of TV combined with a lot of Cheetos. It's hard work, but keep pluggin' away at it. The pounds will come.

laura said...

Did you honestly serve Brie a stick of butter????? That is so disgusting.
I have no suggestions for fattening up- at least in a healthy way. Otherwise, what about deep fried cheese sticks dipped in ranch, stadium nachos or donuts. Lucky Ava.

Kam said...

Oh yeah, butter, sour cream and philly are top on Samantha's list, too. (I presume you did not actually "serve" Brie the butter, but rather she helped herself, right? At least that's how it happens around here.)

Ava is sooo cute. I was just talking to Brian about the "percentile" thing. They don't really do that too much over here. Anyway, Brian's point was that if all the low-percentile kids bulked up, it would just inflate the average and the percentile chart would be off-kilter. Make sense? (Like the bell-curve thing in stats) We NEED those underweights-- like Ava, Brie, and Randi to balance big chunksters like Spencer, who ALSO weighs 14 pounds at 3 1/2 mos. :) Don't worry to much about it, I say. Try eggs and cheese and fatty dairy stuffs, maybe? But not whole sticks of buttah.

p.s. Yay for babies who sleep through the night!!

Heather J. said...

I use(d) a book called First Meals by Annabel Karmel and loved it. It gives a ton of meal ideas and you can add all the full-fat dairy items, good fatty fish, pesticide-free but less lean cuts of beef, etc. I did a lot of batch cooking and froze them for easy reheating in glass containers in boiling water (keeps the nutrients). We also do a lot of brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc. for the carbs. There is also a great recipe for yogurt pancakes and we add ground flax to a lot of things that adds fat too. Claire eats almond butter (instead of peanut) which gives her other good fats too. Sorry for the novel, I'm just rattling off things we have done. Smoothies have also been a great way to load up on veggies, fruits, and probiotics too (in yogurt). Good luck! I'm completely with you on starting good habits now...

Heather J. said...

I meant hormone-free on the meat, pesticide-free on the produce...

Carolynj said...

I've known people from 10 to 60 that are just naturally very thin or small, but healthy. Because her height is also low, maybe she's just a small girl. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the Dr. is overly concerned. Were you and/or Scott small babies?
I, too, would not start her on bad
habits. She could have all the things we avoid - yummy, healthy smoothies or milkshakes, homemade banana or carrot muffins, avocados, mashed potatoes, oatmeal cookies, etc. I would just watch the sugar more than anything else. Good luck.

Missy said...

Steroids help. :-)

Amber said...

I wouldn't even worry about it, why can't she just be little?? not like she is all skin and bones, and won't eat. I say don't stress about it, and keep feeding her healthy :)