Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Sleep

We need more of it!

Ava is 4 months old and such a random sleeper. At night she sleeps well, but still wakes up to eat two or three times. Daytime naps are another story. She insists on being swaddled tightly and then rocked a little bit to fall asleep. I then put her down in her crib. She only sleeps for about 40 minutes (sometimes less) though. She very rarely will sleep for longer than that in her bed. So it is the same routine all day long. Feed her, play with her, swaddle her, rock her, 40 minutes to shower or clean up and then it repeats all over again. Aggggh! I wish she would get on to that morning and afternoon nap schedule and soon!

Here she is passed out in the swing with her head band accidentally fallen over her eyes. (He he he.) She does love sleeping in a rocking swing, but I don't let her anymore.
Brie has always been an AWESOME sleeper. Seriously. She has slept from 8pm to 8am at night and then taken a nap every day from 1pm to 4pm. She has never fought going to bed, but is always happy to do so. When she is tired she wants her bed and often times puts herself to bed. Yesterday it was getting close to nap time and she must have felt sleepy because she said, "Bye bye Mommy." and marched up the stairs to bed. She used to try to climb into her crib because she wanted to be in there asleep.

Well, as of this week all of that is changing. We are still good on naps, but Brie is now fighting bed time. She doesn't protest the going to bed process, but just keeps getting out of bed, opening the door and announcing that she is awake as though she has been asleep forever. We've had two nights of putting her to bed at 8:30pm and her not crashing (crying) until 11pm after we've put her back in bed 5 times and she's woken Ava up a few times. What is she doing? What is going on? Do all 2 year olds do this? Are her naps too long? Any suggestions?

Here is Brie sound asleep in bed with all of the friends that join her.

She has always loved and slept with white bear. He was the only one she REALLY cared about and HAD to have. A monkey we call Mono (monkey in spanish) has now joined the group. Mono was Scott's when he was Brie's age. When Scott gave her the monkey he told her how it used to be his when he was a little boy and he loved it and carried it around. Brie said very lovingly, "Here you go Daddy." and handed it back. Scott let her keep it and he is loved and held right along with white bear now.

This is her sleeping last night. Notice how she also had to sleep with her new Nemo movie.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alicia--What a NICE page you have set up!! And how FUN to read about your changing nap schedules!! I have absolutely NO advice, but....just keep having fun being a mom! :)

I saw that darling picture of Brie laying there with all her toys by her, and I thought to myself...."I bet Kamber is DELIGHTED that Brie still uses a pacifier!"....cause her Sammie still does, too, and it makes moms feel good when their friends' kids do some of the same things that THEIR kids do. (know what I mean??):)
Anyway--it's fun to read about your family and I'm glad things are going along so well. I read the other day about your terrible "locked-out-of-the-house" experience, and I felt SO BAD for you!! Dennis and I would LOVE for you and Scott to make a visit here to stay a week-end with us one of these times. Doesn't it sound like fun to get out of the big city traffic and just come over to "small town life" for a while?? We'd love to have you! Give us a call and COME!! Love, Kam's mom, Karen

Dunn Family said...

oh Alicia! I know exactly how you feel. Zoey was just like Ava when she was little. I always had to get her to sleep then lie her down. It was awful! As for the Brie thing. Zoey still won't just go to bed for me. I have to go in her room, read her a book, say prayers, and lay with her for a little bit until she is falling asleep. It is not fun and i don't know how to break her of it either. I would shorten Brie's nap. Zoey only sleeps for 2 hrs during the day and it has to be before 1:30 or else she won't go to bed. I don't know, I don't have much advice for you!! Good luck!

laura said...

2 years old is when Kea gave up her afternoon nap- which led to a 6:30 or 7pm bedtime. If you are usually home at that time, you could do that. Otherwise, let her take the nap and then hang out with her until 9pm. 15 hours does sound like a lot of sleep for a 2 year old to me. This is a hard transition. IF you do take away the nap, she will be so cranky/tired starting in the afternoon. It's all an adjustment. Good luck.

Kam said...

Poor Alicia -- hard when YOU'RE not getting the sleep, because your girls aren't! Hopefully it gets better. Hmm...Sam's been on a crazy schedule this month, with all our visitors and trips. So, sleeping hasn't been her forte either. Like Brie, she crashes in the afternoon for a good 2-3 hours, then has a hard time getting to sleep at night. She's still in the crib (no room for a bed), which helps, but she still goes through a list of "demands" before bed (one more toy to sleep with, drink, music, another blanket, another binky, etc), wailing and screaming for a good long time when we don't comply. I think I'm going to start waking her up earlier from her naps, so she'll be ready to go to bed earlier. But that's always hard, when I (or YOU) need the nap too, eh?! Good luck. Cute pictures of the girls

Melody said...

Alicia, Brooklyn does the same thing as Ava! I can never get anything done because she sleeps for only 15-20 minutes after I feel like it's finally safe to lay her down. Is this normal at this age? Also, just curious, why don't you let Ava sleep in her swing?
-Melody

Amber said...

LOVE the cute picture with all of the sleeping friends. We also have a quite large group of "friends" that Sienna insists on sleeping with. Maybe it is a girl thing, maybe not, but I love that Brie does it too!

Roger said...

Now I know the purpose of those head bands you put on Ava.

Buchanan House said...

Just be happy that you know where the two girls are--in the house, asleep or not. The years go so rapidly. My boys started sneaking out of the basement door at night in their teenage years to be with their friends. Not Scott, of course. Ha,Ha!