As all of you know, Gordon B. Hinckley, the prophet and president of our church, passed away on Sunday evening. Scott and I have been thinking and talking a lot about him. We were at a meeting (fireside) on Sunday evening with Douglas Brinley. It was excellent. When it was over everyone was chatting like usual. It was pretty noisy. Our stake president then came to the pulpit and told us they had just heard that President Hinckley died. The room was then totally silent and we all gathered our coats and walked out quietly. I felt so sad at first because I knew I would miss him. I was then thrilled for him as I thought of the reunion he was having with his wife, other family members, friends he had served with and people that he believed in and preached of for so many years. I'm happy for him. Yesterday as I went through my day of laundry, shoveling snow (again), cooking, rocking to sleep, etc. I thought about who President Hinckley had been to me. I remember very clearly that press conference on the day he was named president of the church. I loved him then. I remember teaching the people in Argentina about him and how he was a living prophet for our time. I hoped they would feel this and believe it. I remember helping them to pronounce his name. I remember serving him a roll at a BYU dinner when I worked catering. I watched how he acted toward his wife. I remember him speaking at my graduation from BYU and giving me advice for the future. I remember the love I felt from him to me as one of his "colleagues" every time he spoke in general conference. I remember being on "booty duty" at the open house and dedication of the Boston temple. This meant I was by the front doors of the temple when he came out in all white to put mortar in the corner stone. He did this and then I got to take the little shovel and put mortar in also. I remember feeling something very powerful every time I was somewhere where he would speak and we would all stand in silence as he entered the room. I remember laughing at how cute he was when he would wave his handkerchief or cane to say goodbye.
We will miss him and I know many of you will also. People have been saying their goodbyes in many ways here. Sunday night crowds gathered at temple square and sang hymns toward his apartment. High schoolers sent a text message out to wear "sunday best" church clothes to high school yesterday and they did. President Hinckley's talks are being played on KBYU and that is all that is discussed on the news. It will be nice to see his funeral on Saturday.
3 comments:
Thanks, Alicia, for sharing your memories of President Hinckley with us. We all loved him and will always remember what a truly great prophet and president of the LDS church he was. He will be missed greatly by everyone all over the world.
Thank you for those memories. It is awesome to think of the presence he had in all of our lives. I would like to be in Utah to see and hear all of the things going on there for him.
Thank you also for using the term "booty duty". I have SO many wonderful comments about that, but feel they might be inappropriate on this post. NEvertheless, the term brought a smile to my face.
I appreciate hearing your remembrances of President Hinckley. He was a wonderful man and a great example of Christlike characteristics. To think of the high school kids wearing Sunday best to school brought tears to my eyes. Maybe because of the contrast between here and there; here BHS had 30 policemen on campus on Friday to stop fights. 8 kids were arrested and 30 or 40 will be suspended or expelled. What a wonderful difference the church plays in the lives of our children. Mom
Post a Comment