Thursday, March 01, 2007

Let Me In!

It happened! I remember my mom telling me a story about my niece Kea being tired and wanting her bed so badly that she went into her room and shook the crib rails begging to get in and go to sleep. My mom was shocked. She said her kids never wanted their beds like that. I remember thinking that I hoped to teach Brie to enjoy her bed and going to bed and getting good sleep on a regular basis that she might react the same way. It's like Kea was able to recognize that she was tired and wanted to go to sleep in her bed. How cool.

Well, it happened. Last night after Brie's bath she started getting kind of whiny. I still thought it was a little early to put her down, but was getting her pajamas and all of the preparations. She went into her room and stood by the crib and started shaking the crib railings and moaning. She was begging to get into her bed and go to sleep!! So I got her ready, gave her a bottle and took her into her dark, quiet room to lay her down. I put her down with her blanket and bear and she was all smiles and as I sang the "good night" song she was clapping! She was so happy to finally be put to bed! I left the room and she went to sleep until 7 am this morning.

Now, I know it's not so easy with Kea anymore, so I'll enjoy this while it lasts.


P.S. The picture is of Brie all wrapped for "bed" in Scott's lava lava. I only used this because our camera is broken and I have no new pics. We'll have a new one soon, hopefully.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Girl.. She must be ready for her toddler bed so she can just go on her own if she would like. There is still hope she will continue this behavior, Jazlyn will still get into her bed on her own when she is tired, or she will ask if she can go to bed...Even for her naps. Remember she is 4Yrs.

laura said...

Aaahh yes. Good sleepers. They are a blessing. Kea will still go to sleep voluntarily but usually it's on her floor. I have to lift her into her bed a couple times a week because she falls alseep on her bedroom floor. I didn't know Brie was sleeping through the night! When did that happen??

Anonymous said...

Brie started sleeping through the night, usually 7:30pm to 7:00am, as soon as we got back from California for Christmas. Remember how I tried to "train" her right before we went? Well, she just started on her own as soon as we got home. I guess those few nights of crying it out were pointless, but I don't think they did any permanent damage.

Teresa said...

That is great about her loving sleep. It is great training that more Moms should take seriously.

If I remember correctly, I told you she would sleep through the night on her own within a couple of months of drinking a bottle. That is how all my kids did it. Their tummies are getting full enough, and they don't have any reason to wake up :)

Sue said...

Interesting what a different generation discovers. I always thought rocking them was how to put babies to sleep. It didn't work that well. Congratulations! Also, cute picture!