Thursday, March 22, 2007

Communicating

Brielle has really started to communicate more and more with us in the last couple months. Again, it amazes me how fast she can learn. We are always shocked at what she understands from us when she actually responds. When we say we are going bye, bye or outside - she goes right for the door. When Scott asked her to get a book and give it to Zoe - she went and chose a book and took it to Zoe! Wow. When I ask her if she wants to go to bed - she nods her head yes. When I ask her to go get her shoes or a diaper or anything - she goes right to it and gets it. Just amazing!

We've watched in fascination as she learns to communicate back to us also (dad, don't you feel the same way with Tawna and Krista?). She can now say: keys, juice, shoes, socks, eyes, nose, milk, mama, dada, ball, dog (of course), cheese. Some words she can not say, but learns the sign for very quickly. I used to try to teach her signs and nothing ever happened so I gave up. Now though, as soon as I show her the sign and she makes the connection, she's got it down. The signs she uses are: go to sleep, bye-bye, bath, more, food, fish, brush teeth, say prayer, blow kisses and she is learning milk. She can also point to body parts like head, eyes, nose, ears, toes, feet, mouth, teeth. It's so cool to see her actually capture what I am saying to her or teaching her. What a stinkin genius!

Here is Brielle signing "sleep".
Brie folding her arms for prayer. She learned this last month when we babysat the Kirks and she saw all the kids doing it. Now she folds her arms for the prayer every time we sit down to eat, but she does it like 7 times during the meal. I guess she is very spiritual.Brielle pointing to her ears. She also does this sign when I sing to her. Hmmmm?
A lot of words have come from reading these books from Rama. We read these at least three times a day just because she brings the same ones to me over and over. Yep, fascinating for me huh? Here is Brie reading to her bear.

5 comments:

Sue said...

Great job, Brielle. I think she looks older, she must be maturing a lot.

Anonymous said...

What a lucky little girl--both pretty and smart. She gets it from her parents and grandparents.

laura said...

She looks SO old. Her little face is changing. She is outgrowing her baby look. I think she is looking more like Scott. I love all the developing that goes on right now. Every day seems to bring something new. How fun.

Roger said...

In answer to your question about our daughters learning to communicate, let me share a recent experience.
We got up with the girls this morning as they got ready for Seminary. We have prayer with them before they leave.
I said to Tawna, "Are you ready to pray?"
Tawna said, "Shuuuuuut uuuuuuuuup"
I too, watched in fascination....

Kam said...

Wow! What a clever little Brie you've got on your hands (they use "clever" over here far more often than bright, or smart, or gifted). I like it. She looks so cute reading to her bear. Maybe she can read to Samantha when she comes to visit.

Roger, looks like your girls are also really learning to express themselves! How Nice!!