We're home. The nine days of babysitting four kids ended last night when their parents returned at midnight from their cruise. It was a crazy week. When Scott was there to help things went pretty smoothly and it really wasn't all that hard. When Scott was working all day until 11:30pm, the days were long and hard. It felt like dinner time to bed time was complete chaos! Some of the interesting moments of our time with the Kirks were:
1. On Saturday we had everyone clean the whole house so it would be nice and clean when the parents got home. Everything was spotless, including the kids bathroom. We were walking out the door to take them to go swimming and Henry (4) came crying to me. He had gone running (because the 4 year olds run EVERYWHERE, I never saw them walk) into the bathroom with everything out and ready to go pee and went sliding on the newly washed floor and peed all over the floors and walls and everywhere.
2. Elsa asked me at least 10 questions in every 5 minute period of time. They were all questions with quite obvious answers. Where are we going? Who is in that picture? What are you making for lunch? Does your baby have a stinky diaper? Where is your dad (Scott)?
3. Katie got sick Saturday night. We didn't know how serious it was or if she was faking it, until she started throwing up Wendy's chili! Nasty. She had food poisoning and luckily Scott was nice enough to clean it off the carpet the four times it ended up there. We had given her a bowl, but she missed most times. Poor Scott.
4. I made them heart shaped pancakes for breakfast on Valentine's day. They didn't care. I got a heart shaped pizza for dinner that night. They didn't much care about that either.
5. Henry is obsessed with treats/candy. He begged from the moment he woke up until his last words at night for a treat. He is all about getting candy. He wanted brownies for breakfast and candy for dinner. It was amazing how his mind focused on treats constantly.
6. Brielle wasn't too pleased with the mothering the two girls gave her. (Good to know it's not only Kea.) She would get so frustrated and just start screaming if they came near when she had had enough. She did fall in love with Josh (10) and always wanted to be by him or held by him. He loved it.
7. Katie lost a tooth one day. I started asking questions about the tooth fairy. She said it gave her $20 the first time, $10 the second and then $5 after that. I guess it smartened up. So after they were all asleep I snuck down to steal the tooth and put the $5 under the pillow. She had locked her bedroom door because the boys had been sneaking in. What was I supposed to do??? When Scott got home, he picked the lock and we made the switch successfully! Yeah! My first time being tooth fairy.
8. Josh had a ski class. Scott took him to rent the equipment. He did not want a helmet and threw a fit about having to get one. He kept saying it was "so boring" to have to wear a helmet until the R.E.I. guy said, " You know what's boring? Crashing into a tree and being a vegetable the rest of your life!".
We are very happy to be home today. Brie and I went to Kindermusik this morning and then out to lunch with Scott before he left to work. We then got to come home for naps!! Yahoo! Brie slept from 1:00 - 5:00 and I slept from 1:30 - 4:30! Wow. It felt so good. I guess we were worn out.
I now have $1,000 that is all mine to do with whatever I want. What should I do? I could put it in savings, buy a new camera for me, car seat for Brie and drill for Scott or go on a trip. What do you think?
5 comments:
I feel like you could have written almost every one of those comments about my kids. It's nice to know those behaviors aren't exclusive to our family. The constant questioning- I've gotten in a bad habit of saying, "What does it look like? Or Where do you think?" I don't say it in a mean way, I just want them to know they can draw a conclusion by watching what I'm doing. I would have loved a heart shaped pancake- that was a nice effort on your part. And with the $1000- WOW- half to a trip and the other half to those things you listed. You could do it all. Congratulations on surviving!!
I've come to find that saving is highly over-rated. All you have to do is go to the bank and they GIVE you all the money you want! So I say, take the money and get the $1000 car seat for Brie. Or you could split it, and get a $400 car seat and then have enough to get Scott a $600 drill!
I didn't know you were getting PAID for all your valient service!?!? Wow! $1000! Umm... what do I hear? I think it's EUROPE calling your NAME!! Come, come away, Buchanans. (back me up on this, Teresa!)
Isn't it great to be home? How fun to have that much money. I say do something fun with it, will it get you to Europe? It seems like stuff you need gets bought with household money and life still goes on.
Your descriptions brought back memories of my 5 young boys. What challenging but totally fun days those were. May you enjoy whatever you spend the money on. You deserve the best.
Post a Comment