Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Suburban Mom

I am just finishing day #4 of life with the Kirk family. We have 5 more days to go. So far, so good. It has been fun and crazy and chaotic and noisy and exhausting to babysit a 10 year old (Josh), 8 year old(Katie) and 4 year old twins (Henry and Elsa) and my own little one year old. What a leap to go from mine and Brie's quiet days of long naps and piddling around the house to the crazy life of a "mother" of five. To just have a glimpse of how our days go, this is how things went yesterday:

I got up with Brie at 7 am and played with her and changed her until I had to go wake up the other kids. We got breakfast for everyone, got everyone dressed and sent the older kids out the door to school. I then drove the twins to preschool and dropped them off. I came back and picked up Brie (she was with Scott) and took her to Kindermusik, which was very fun. We then picked up the twins from preschool and drove straight to dance class. I changed Elsa in the suburban and took her into class. Scott, Brie, Henry and I went to the store during dance class and then Scott went to work and I went back for Elsa. We came home, had lunch and Brie wouldn't take a nap because she had slept in the car. We then loaded everyone up again in the suburban and I dropped Henry off for a play date and went up to the elementary school to pick up Katie. I drove Katie and Elsa to violin class and came home to make dinner. Josh came home from art class, we walked to pick up Henry and then finally started eating dinner. We then had practicing of piano and violin, homework and family home evening to do. Brie was crying and crying because she was ready for bed and hadn't had any nap, the kids were all talking and asking questions and spilling milk and I was exhausted!! Bedtime started at 8 pm and after about an hour or two of yelling and doors slamming (because the boys were breaking into the girls room) and confiscating a few "torture devices", they were all asleep! Whew. Scott got home at 11:30 and then we finally got to go to bed.

It's a very busy life with four very active kids, but I am enjoying it. Brielle LOVES to play with kids and they love her. I love the big, beautiful house - most especially the master bathroom with gorgeous shower and tub and the vacuum sucker thing that you turn on in the kitchen when sweeping so you don't need a dust pan.

I had no idea that there was such a busy, hustle and bustle out on the streets of all these moms in suburbans while I have just been quietly enjoying my house, but there is. I drive around and all I see are other moms with suburbans filled with kids. It's great fun! Hopefully, I can make it through the end. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Teresa said...

Wow, it sounds wonderful, and stressful. Of course it is always easier when you work yourself up to that life instead of not having it one day and then all of a sudden being so busy. It does make me think I might keep my kids extracurriculars to a minimum. :) Good work you guys.

laura said...

I agree with Teresa- too much time in the car. Sounds exhausting! This was an interesting post for me to read. I just got home from a trip with one child, back to three. A hard adjustment- me and 3 kids together 24 hours a day/7 days a week. I was thinking it would be easier once the kids were in school or some other activity. Sounds like it only gets crazier. Thanks for reminding me to enjoy my time now.

Roger said...

When I was a kid, we came home from school, found some old sticks for swords and chased each other (or cats) around in the street until the street lights came on. Which is better?