Friday, February 09, 2007

The Good Earth


I finished The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck this morning. It was a very interesting book. I really got into it from the very beginning and enjoyed reading it all the way to the end. I appreciate all of you that recommended it to me. I always like a book that takes me to a different time and place. I learn about people and lifestyles and cultures that I would never know about otherwise. This book definitely did that for me. It was fascinating to read about how this family lived in pre-revolution China. As I read about their life I was more and more grateful for my own. I think because we are surrounded by people who are living just as comfortably as we are - cars, house, plenty of food, clothes, etc. - we forget just how fortunate we are. There are, and have been, so many people that live in this world that struggle for the basic things that are just always there for us. I realized this as I visited many small, poor homes in South America and I was reminded of it as I read this book. I am now even more intrigued by Jessica living in China right now. What a different world.

Kamber has now suggested a book called An Assembly Such As This. It is already on hold for me at the library. Can't wait to start it. If you have any book suggestions, please send them my way.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

If you liked The Good Earth- you may like Eleni by Nicholas Gage. You make me want to read the book again. It has been a while.

Jessica said...

Three words: "The Poisonwood Bible" it is my favorite book and takes you to AFRICA!!!
I feel like I am living in the city that the Good Earth takes place in. I have met lots of old farmers who experienced pre-revolution China and who still have the cultural tendencies that the characters in that book had.

Sue said...

I think you are brave to babysit 4 kids, including twins, for a week. They are really lucky to have such great babysitters. No wonder you celebrated Valentines day early. I love the flowers and really love the plaque,it is beautiful!

Emily said...

Alicia...

I am not sure if you will remember me.. I am Scott's second cousin. My Grandpa Buchanan is Fred's older brother. Anyway, I check your blog spot every once in awhile to keep up with the Buchanan family. I love all of the pictures and news. Anyhow, I notice that you read! We love to read in my family and my sister formed a book club about 3 years ago. We have read many many books, including the Good Earth, Poisonwood Bible and East of Eden. You should join! I think you would love it and it is pretty relaxed and easy going but we have great discussions. Anyhow, email me if you are interested. We just started reading Grapes of Wrath.
Congratulations on the new baby to come...

Emily.. nursemmy@gmail.com