Tonight was our Enrichment night at church. As most of you know, I am the enrichment counselor, so I was quite involved in helping put the night together. It's over! Yeah! And it was so fun! Yeah!
We had a night called "My Favorite Things". (It was an idea I had after we did something kind of similar in a different ward when I was enrichment counselor there.) We played the song from "The Sound of Music". You know - whiskers on kittens, warm woolen mittens, rain drops of roses, etc. We started with a meal. Those who brought food brought their very favorite casserole or their favorite salad or favorite dessert. They also brought the recipes to share. After we were done eating the fun began. Each person came with something that was their very favorite thing. Something that was simple and not expensive, but something they love and can't live without. They had these items wrapped up and each of us got to choose a package. One person would unwrap their package and show what it was and the person who brought it had to tell why they liked it so much. It was so fun. We got to know each other a little bit better and we got great ideas for favorite things like cooking gadgets, cleaning supplies, lotions, candles, movies, chocolates, gardening stuff, books, etc. So much stuff. All kinds of things. I think it was a good night and I hope everyone had a great time.
As I was searching for what my favorite thing would be to bring, I came up with so many. I made a list.
1. Cozy, warm, soft, thick socks to wear in the cold winter time. (This is what I took tonight)
2. Sugar scrub. It makes your skin so soft and is great for shaving your legs.
3. MAC makeup's eye lid eye paint. It acts as a primer for your eye lid and keeps your eye shadow on so long.
4. Clorox Wipes. I use them on EVERYTHING. Especially now that I have food being thrown everywhere.
5. Harvest scented Yankee candle.
6. Boston Red Sox baseball cap. Perfect for when my hair is out of control.
7. Body Butter. It's so much thicker and more moisturizing than most lotions.
8. Salad Spinner. I use this so often. It's so easy for washing and drying lettuce.
9. Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt styling gel. This is the best I've found for curly hair.
10. Compact Flash. It's a little gadget that I can plug my memory card from the camera into to easily upload pictures instead of hooking up the camera.
What are a few of your favorite things?
5 comments:
What a super idea for enrichment! We did something similar last year. Everyone had to bring something representing them, like what they like to do. We set them on the table and everyone had to guess what item represented which person. We gave everyone a paper with numbers on it and each item was numbered. Then people got to tell why that represented them.
We are now trying to plan our Christmas enrichment.
Did you get to keep the item that you unwrapped?
Yes, you got to take home what you unwrapped. That way everyone got to experience a new favorite thing.
Alicia- loved the blog. I read about it right before I got ready so while I was getting ready for the day I thought about all my favorite things.
1- World map shower curtain. Impossible to decorate around but wouldn't trade it for the cutest shower curtain out there.
2-My piano. When I'm frustrated or upset music fills the house rather than my yelling and slamming doors.
3-The Grey sweat pants Sue bought me when I was pregnant. I have never worn any item of clothing so much. Ridiculously comfortable.
4-Oil and Vinegar cruets. We have given up salad dressing alltogether and just use oil and vinegar on everything from salad to pasta to steamed cauliflower. Yum.
5-Organic mascara. I saw it at a health food store and bought it out of curiosity, but I love how it goes on and stays. And plus- all natural!
6- Laminated Charlottesville map. Since I moved away from a place that uses a grid system for streets I have depended on this great map to get around. I would literally be lost without it.
7-Garlic press. I love cooking with fresh garlic but hate chopping it.
I think my absolute favorite thing would have to be our king size bed, complete with egyptian cotton sheets that are oh-so-soft. Every time I've been away for a night, I come home, climb in, and remember how wonderful it is to be in my own bed. That's probably not one I would wrap up and bring to enrichment to share, but it tops all other favorites. A short list of others...
-- FullerBrush stain spray remover. It's a miracle cleaner my mom got for me. I've never seen a stain it can't get out. It's even better than oxyclean, I'm serious!
-- Key lime margarita pie. It is the most delicious dessert I've ever made! I got the recipe from kraftfoods.com, and altered it a bit. I bring it to parties, and everyone asks for the recipe.
-- My Christmas socks. Brian got me the cutest candy-cane striped hand-knitted socks last year for Christmas. They're so warm and soft, great for around the house.
-- The movie Pride and Prejudice. I mean the 5-hour long miniseries with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. I've not met anyone who actually watched it and didn't like it.
-- American shopping carts. Every time we go to Costco, I get a thrill of relief and excitement to use an American-style shopping cart, with the back wheels locked in place. Every other store has free wheeled carts that are sooo hard to steer and turn! You Americans don't know how good you have it!
-- Indian Pasanda with rice. It's a curry from a bottle that I cook with chicken, onions, and peas. It's so delicious we have it for dinner almost every week.
-- my piano. I'm with Sarah, the piano is a highlight of my life, for good days and not-so-good days.
Post a Comment