Saturday, October 14, 2006

Aunt Betty's Funeral

Friday at noon was Aunt Betty's funeral. Aunt Betty is Fred's (Scott's dad) older sister. They grew up in Scotland together and Fred says that Betty really helped to raise him. One memory he told me about is that Betty helped him to learn big words. They would walk along the shore in Scotland and she would teach him. The first word he remembers her teaching him is "submarine". Betty and her husband Alec moved to the U.S. and settled in Holladay, UT. They opened a pastry shop that is just down the road from where we live. It is still there and her son now runs it. He made the cake for our wedding. Scott worked in that pastry shop when he was young and remembers decorating cakes. He really loved Aunt Betty and Uncle Alec. Scott says that I would have LOVED Alec. He is so happy for them that they get to be together again. (Alec passed away in 2002.)

The funeral was lovely. Betty's children and grandchildren told really fun and cute stories about her. Everyone is happy for her. The only really sad moment was when a granddaughter sang "Loch Lomond" and I think everyone lost it imagining the two Scottish sweethearts being reunited again. Betty and Alec spent their honeymoon at Loch Lomond, a lake in Scotland. For those not surrounded with Scottishness, the chorus is this:

Oh ye'll tak' the high road and I'll tak' the low road,
An' I'll be in Scotland before ye',
But wae is my heart until we meet again
On the Bonnie, bonnie banks
O' Loch Lomond

We went to the cemetery for the grave side service and Brian played the bag pipes as people gathered. Fred said a few words and sprinkled a little dirt and a little water from Scotland. What I loved the most was that the grandchildren threw down rose petals in the path where the casket was carried. It was very sweet and I have requested the same be done for me one day. I thought it was a neat way to honor a lady, just as you do a bride.
It was a long day for little Brie. She did alright during the funeral, but was very tired by the time we reached the cemetery. Here she is in a daze playing with the grass. Lucky for us, she fell asleep in her car seat on the way back to the church and slept in the Relief Society room while we got to have lunch with the family. I think that is one of the beauties of a funeral. It brings together so many friends and family members that you don't see often. I was glad that Scott got to see so many cousins and aunts and uncles again.

4 comments:

Sue said...

That was a beautiful memory of Aunt Betty. The family might like a copy of your feelings about her and the funeral. How wonderful to be so well remembered, and to have traditions. I am sorry for your loss, though I agree she is happier.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Alicia, for writing up such beautiful comments about Aunt Betty and including the pictures. Fred cried when he saw them. We appreciate all you and Scott do for us and love you very much.

A, M and S said...

Thanks for sharing the photos of the funeral with us, who are too far away to go in person. Betty was a lovely woman.
Renee

Teresa said...

That was a wonderful tribute to your Aunt Betty. Sounds like a wonderful funeral where everyone was able to be at peace with her going back to be with her sweetheart.

Brielle looks EXACTLY like Scott in that picture of here in the grass.