Saturday, July 14, 2007

Painting Problems

Why? Why do we do this to ourselves? We HATE painting!! But, of course, I move into this house and start choosing the colors that I want the walls immediately. I am totally crazy and Scott definitely thinks so right now. He's a good man.

We had quite the battle with gallons of bright yellow paint last night. We started painting Brielle's new room after we put her to bed. It was hot and filled with paint fumes. We painted until 2am and looked at the room in TOTAL HORROR!! It was SO bright. You could hardly look at it without having to shield your eyes. There was SO much yellow. I thought it would be a nice buttery soft yellow, but I don't know if that exists. It was like the sun landed right in that room. So, we tried to go to bed, but we both tossed and turned and couldn't sleep because of how bad it was and wondering how we would fix it. We got to Home Depot early this morning and right this minute Scott is painting the top portion of the wall white. Good ole' white. I should learn that you can never go wrong with white. But now what about that yellow still left on the bottom? Yikes!
I have made a promise to both Scott and myself that we will never paint again. Scott will work overtime so that we can use the money to have someone do the messy work for us. That is what we did with the kitchen. We paid someone to paint above the kitchen cabinets into the vaulted ceiling. Smart move. I LOVE this paint color, except between 12pm and 3pm when I think, "What have I done? The kitchen is baby blue!". The rest of the time it is a nice grayish blue and it's only on one wall. It's great.
I've learned that the only thing you can really trust when painting is going with something you have used and liked before or seen in someone else's house. The nursery (Ava's room) was easy. We used the same exact gallon of paint and just transferred every single thing from the old room to the new room. No problem.

8 comments:

Todd and Anna said...

Oh...I don't envy you at all. I also hate painting and the thought of it makes me queasy. I agree with you guys, I will work overtime just so I can pay somebody else to do the painting.
I want to see pictures of the final product when you get them.

Sarah A said...

The blue is not nearly as bad as you made it sound. And I think Brie's room will turn out great. Her bedding is cute enough that it will make up for any bad paint on the wall.

Dunn Family said...

That is so funny. Cory and I were sitting here looking at the pics and reading and were just laughing. You are troopers! The kitchen looks nice and I am sure Brie's room will turn out great.

Todd and Anna said...

Anna had a good point, it could be worse- you could live in student housing apartments and not be able to paint or change anything!

Anonymous said...

I really like the blue with the white doors and your dinning set. I also don't think the yellow is too bright. Leave the bottom yellow and put a little border between the white and yellow. It is a darling room, and Brielle will love it. She is such a little ray of sunshine with her sparkling eyes and bright smile that it is just perfect for her.

Anonymous said...

Two suggestions:
1. Paint white and don't worry about it until it starts to peel off.
2. I love the kitchen, but some gold and ivory knobs would make it look much better.

A, M and S said...

I think the yellow on the bottom will look smashing!
R

A, M and S said...

I think the yellow on the bottom will look smashing!
R