Friday, December 08, 2006

Girl With A Pearl Earring

I just finished this book last night. It was wonderful. I'm so glad that I got into it and finished reading it. It was one of those books, like Memoirs Of A Geisha, that really takes you away into another place and time. I really enjoyed reading it. The story is a novel about a real painter, Vemeer, and his real paintings. He was Dutch and lived in the 1600s. I now wish I could go see his paintings.

Thanks to Kamber for the recommendation. Now I need another. Anyone have any suggestions for good books?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved that book too. I know I saw the movie too, but cannot remember what I thought about it. It must not have been too good or too bad or I would have remembered it!

If you liked Geisha and this one, you may like The Good Earth by Pearl Buck. It takes you into a whole different time also. It is older so you may have already read it though...

Jessica said...

AND...the good earth is about.....CHINA!!!!!!!!
I would suggest The Poisonwood Bible. I absolutely LOVE that book. I don't know why, it just really sucked me in. It is about a family with four daughters who go to Africa as missionaries but the narrator changes throughout the book to each of the sisters and the mom. READ IT!!

Roger said...

We saw that painting at the Marketplace when they did the sidewalk chalk drawings. Davin and Kea could probably tell you all about it.
My favorite new book is "The Anatomy of Peace." Yes, it is an Arbinger book but it does have a great message.

Anonymous said...

I really liked that book. We read it for book club.

Another one that I LOVED that we read for book club is Lust for Life about Van Gogh. I really enjoyed all of it. It takes you back in time and to Europe and you have a context for a lot of it because it's about Van Gogh and other painters. Similar to Girl with a Pearl Earring, but more historical sounding. I loved it. But I've always loved Van Gogh.

Kam said...

I think The Good Earth actually made me cry. Another that made me cry -- Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. I couldn't put it down. Another one -- The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins. It also changes narrators, like Poisonwood Bible (which I want to read next). I've also heard The Kiterunner is good, though I've not read it. And another goodie -- Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. I don't normally do Sci-Fi, but that was gripping enough that I skipped a WHOLE day of class at BYU to finish it (and you know me, Alicia: I didn't skip class in those days!) One more for the road... The Hiding Place, by Corrie TenBoom (sp?). Wow! Lots of good literature. Just wait till I write one, then you'll have another good one to read!