Thursday, May 09, 2013

Celebrating in California

So here is how this little miracle happened . . . There I was at Landon and Sarah's house having dinner and Tawna mentioned her upcoming trip to California. I thought for a second and then decided that I wanted to go too! I am done nursing Kate and Scott could take a couple of days off of work. Wahoo!!!! Road trip to California. Just me and Tawna!! 

Scott took three days off and took care of the kids from Thursday morning to Monday night. From the moment I got into Tawna's car that morning it definitely felt like vacation. I just sat there for a ten hour drive. We didn't have to stop. I didn't have to turn around to give anyone a snack, book, toy, etc. I didn't have to break up any fights. I didn't have to listen to everyone whine and cry. I didn't have to clean up puke or pee. It was quiet and oh so peaceful. 

Tawna and I made it in time to go out to dinner with my dad to celebrate his second anniversary of his heart transplant. I was so happy to be there for such a special day to remember.
In honor of my dad's anniversary, family and friends were asked to "Donate to Celebrate". We went down to Hoochin Blood Bank so that we (ended up I was the only one that could)  could donate blood to celebrate the life the donor family gave to us through heart transplant. I had quite the support group.
 
That celebration soon led us into the next. My mom's birthday. We decided to go down to L.A. for the night and stay at the Ritz Carlton (thanks to Tawna). We got to go to lunch on the Marina, shopping at Third Street Promenade, dinner with the parents and dessert in the 50 Club room (again thanks to Tawna).
From our room.
Fish and Chips for lunch.
Tawna, Krista, Laura and I went out to the hot tub after desserts. We stayed and talked for hours. We went to bed at 1am. It really is so wonderful to have sisters. It's just easy, comfortable and fun to hang out. 

Even though we went to bed so late, I was still determined to run in the morning. I really wanted to see how far I could run since I was at sea level and had no time restrictions (kids needing me). At 6:15 I woke up and was so excited about my run that I couldn't go back to sleep. I snuck out with everyone else still asleep and took off down the walking path. The problem was that I went the wrong way. Instead of following the path as long as I wanted to, I came to the sand and there was no path. It was really a very frustrating run. I went down an alley, in and out of condos and was at a dead end at the marina. Soooooo, on the way back I just took off my shoes and socks and ran along the water. It was MUCH easier than figuring out my way up through the condos. It really felt so good too. And I got to pop all those bulbs on the sea weed with bare feet!
 I stopped at Venice Beach to talk on the phone to the kids while I watched these surfers in the water.
Got back just in time to say Happy Birthday to my mom and she and everyone else was waking up.
 
We had a good birthday breakfast together and then they were all off to the temple to see Ben and Alexis come out from getting married. I stayed back to lounge around the pool. I was quite happy with my decision. 
 When they got back, we packed up and hit the beach with the whitest legs that coastline had ever seen.
 Back in B-town I got to go to Ben's wedding reception, which surprisingly enough, was probably the cutest I've ever seen. I went to my parent's ward on Sunday and then we got to have dinner, cake and ice cream to celebrate mom's birthday right.
 Monday was the end of our little vacay. I got up and ran, we sat around the pool and painted toe nails and then hit Dewars on our way out of town. The perfect send off really.
 I was soooooooooooo excited and anxious to get home. I couldn't wait to see Scott and the kids. And it was wonderful. I came home to this!!! Kate's first steps.
Oh, and this. Ava modeling just one of the many items of clothing I brought home from my shopping spree with Krista (thanks!!!).

1 comment:

Sue said...

What a wonderful weekend! I am so happy that you came, and that you wrote about it. Thank you, Scott. I love the picture of Ava in the dress.