Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Real Mother's Day

So, I've done this the past couple of years and decided to keep it going. I think (I think??) it will be interesting years from now to read back over a typical day in my life right now with four little kids. So, this will be a writing of my day today. A normal, every day type of day.

Wednesday, 5/8/2013

Ava woke up first today. Not typical. Usually, Zachary is the first one awake. She, of course, came to my bed to ask if she could go watch a show on the Ipad. I'm still surprised that they ALWAYS ask instead of just going downstairs and getting on it. I guess I'm glad. A little while later (about 7:15am) I heard Kate start to yell out to me from her crib. Hmmmm, I just wanted to sleep a little bit longer, but she wasn't going to have it. I went and got her out of bed and she curled herself in her pink, soft sleep sack right up against me. She's been so cuddly lately. We went downstairs and I got her a bottle of milk and then held her on the couch while she drank it. And then took it away when she started to squirt it all over the couch. Zach came down crying because Ava got the Ipad first. I held him for awhile until he was ready to go join Ava on her couch with the Ipad. There were PILES (and I mean big piles) of folded clean laundry on the floor from the night before. I had one more load to fold. I sat down and folded it while Kate climbed all over me and I tried to keep her from tearing apart my piles.

At 7:30, we all went upstairs. I woke up Brielle and got an outfit out for her to put on. She talked and talked to me while trying to get dressed. She just can't do both at the same time. So, I am continually saying, "Ok. Focus. Get dressed Brie." Ava didn't like the outfit I chose for her so we looked through her closet until she decided on a cute, ruffled dress. Zachary already had his clothes on by now. That was an easy decision since his "army guy" pants were finally clean. I dressed Kate in a little blue dress and then we all made our way to the bathroom to do hair.

Back downstairs again, I got everyone the bowl of cereal that they wanted and got them eating. Kate got to have her milk and a piece of toast. While they ate, I made and packed up Brielle's lunch. At 8:05am we all loaded in the car and drove Brielle to school. As we dropped her off, she gave me a kiss and I told her I loved her. I then watched her get out and all the little girls in line at school came running to her yelling, "Brielle! Brielle!" They all gathered around her as she showed them the new, gold ballerina necklace she bought with her own money at ballet class yesterday.

We got home and needed to get all those piles of laundry upstairs and put away. Ava and Zachary took their piles up one by one putting them away in drawers. I wondered how in the world Zachary ended up with so many pairs of pants!!!! I put Kate and Brielle's clothes away. We helped Ava find a show and tell toy for preschool. I cleaned up breakfast dishes. Put another load of laundry in the dryer. And then we loaded everyone up again to take Ava to preschool. She looked so cute walking up Ms. Chris' driveway up to school.

As Zachary, Kate and I pulled into the driveway we saw Zach's friends pulling up also. Jen dropped Joshua off and Katie dropped Sam off for their weekly "boy's playdate" (we rotate houses). They played in the front yard riding bikes, the backyard playing baseball and all over the house shooting things. Oh, and they pretended I was a Cybug. I got shot at a lot.

Zachy's little friends were picked up by their moms at 11am. We sent them on their way, I put Kate down for a nap (and as usual, she was delighted to get in her bed and snuggle up with her monkey and baby) and changed from pajamas to running clothes. Zachary and I went down to the playroom. He played (and whined) while I ran my usual four miles. I finished just in time to run me and Zachary out to the van to go pick up Ava. She usually is out of preschool at 11:15, but today Ms. Chris had a special lunch with the girls. She came to the van so excited and told me about the pizza Ms. Chris made for them.

When we got back home, I was lying on the living room floor doing my sit ups when Zachy started spitting and gagging on "something really yucky" that he ate. I asked what it was and he didn't know. I asked him where he got it and he said from the grass. What???? Scott put fertilizer down yesterday. He must have thought the fertilizer beads looked like Nerds. I told him all about how that could be poisonous and took him to the kitchen to try to clear out as much as I could and give him a drink. I then went to dig the bag of fertilizer out of the trash can and call Poison Control to see if I needed to do anything more. She said he would be fine.

Zachary and Ava watched a show while I took a shower (and washed my hair for the first time in three days). I was dressed and ready by 1pm. Typical. Kate woke up and I made a lunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for she and Zach and tuna fish for me. While we ate, I loaded some dishes, wiped counters, swept the floor, folded some laundry, picked up some toys, changed a diaper, wiped a Zachy bum, etc.

In the middle of all of this, there was SO MUCH fighting and yelling at each other and crying from Ava and Zachary that they were both sent to time out. Zach sitting in the kitchen and Ava sitting in the piano room. They had to sit in time out (with Zach crying and whining through it all) until we got in the car to go pick up Brielle from school. We got Brielle and Tally from school and brought them home. Brielle and I sat on the couch for the twenty minutes we had and I helped her make phone calls to family and friends. She was very confident and asked each of them if they would support her school's jog-a-thon. She was so very excited that people would actually agree to give her money!!! I mean, that is so cool. She wanted to call anyone she could think of. I didn't let her.

We had to stop the phone calls to go down to the Winns house to help some of the Activity Days girls finish up their Mother's Day craft that we did last week. We walked down and the kids played with Katie's kids in the backyard while we helped the girls decorate and color aprons for their moms. Kate mostly crawled around after their dog, Max. She was covered in dog hair when we got home.

As soon as we were home, I had everyone grab sweatshirts (yes, it's still cold) and got Ava dressed in her soccer uniform to go off to practice. We drove over to the park and walked ourselves and our chairs and blankets across the whole park to find her team for an hour long practice. Scott showed up half way through after finishing two hours of physical therapy after work.

We all came home from soccer practice and in the middle of a lot of LOUD chaos with the kids all needing something desperately, we got dinner on the table. I had chicken cooking in the crock pot all day, so Scott made some couscous and I roasted broccoli to add. The kids said the chicken was gross so they each had to eat a certain amount of bites, but they downed broccoli, couscous, yellow tomatoes and apple sauce. I ate my bites in between feeding Kate her apple sauce and couscous. She yelled at me for more if I took too long.

Just as we were finishing, Scott had to leave to Young Men's for the night. Brielle was desperate to go get more money for the jog-a-thon. I let her go to the three neighbors closest to us (and that we know well) while I watched her from the window and cleaned up the kitchen and did dishes. Ava was being rude (which she called silly), so she was the first to bed. I changed Kate's diaper and put pajamas on her while Ava brushed teeth and went potty. I put Kate in her bed, kissed her and said good night. I took Ava to her bed, prayed with her, kissed her, told her I loved her and good night. Brielle and Zachary were waiting for me downstairs with a book. We read "Aladdin" until 8:15pm and then I took them up to the bathroom for brushing teeth and going to the bathroom. Zachary threw a total crying and yelling fit (which makes me so mad because I don't want him to wake the other two up) because I wouldn't let him sleep with his new Spider Man body wash. My patience was totally gone by now. I prayed with him while he cried and told him good night. He then called me back about 5 times for totally ridiculous things - "Mommy, I need new water." "Mommy, when can we go to Disneyland?" "Mommy, when can we go to Target?" "Mommy, when I wake up, can I have a treat?" Arrrrgggggghhhhhh! Go to sleep!!!! I prayed with Brielle and kissed her good night. Phew. They were all down in bed. Finally, quiet.

Scott was still gone, so I changed into pajamas and went to practice piano. I haven't practiced enough this week and I need to get ready for piano lessons tomorrow. Scott came home. We talked for awhile and really contemplated going to bed at 9:30pm. I decided I wanted to finish writing this so I came back to the computer to type while I am watching American Idol. It's home town visits week. And now, I am so tired. It's 11:00pm and we are off to bed.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Fascinating! I really think someone will want to read this, hopefully the girls when they have small children. I enjoyed it.

Teresa said...

Always an interesting read. I love to get a glimpse into someone elses life. Sounds like the life of a busy Momma.