Thursday, April 04, 2013

Yes, we celebrated St. Patricks Day.

I have to admit that I've been a bit self conscious about my St. Patrick's Day post after that huffington post article about moms needing to take the holidays down a notch. The article really made me think. It made me feel the need to simplify in some areas. Mostly in the ongoing giving of stuff. I don't want my kids to be so entrapped by consumerism. Like, just because Target has all of it's dollar bins full of a certain holiday's goods, doesn't mean we need to buy it. I also fear who these children, who never want for anything or never have to sacrifice or wait for anything, will become. On the other hand, the article really bugged me. And continues to bug me. It was so harsh and so judgmental. If some moms don't feel they have the time, resources, energy or even desire to do what other moms are doing, that is fine. But, please let me without too much judgment. I LOVE this stuff. I love doing a craft for the upcoming holiday with the kids. I love having something special to celebrate and have fun with. I love how REALLY excited they get about it. It makes me sad to think of the day when all that excitement will be gone. Being a stay-at-home mom could be quite monotonous. Having fun with these little holidays is just that, fun. And hopefully creating good memories of the fun they had with mom.

So, we had fun with St. Patrick's Day. We are Irish anyway, you know.
Since St. Patty's Day was on Sunday, Brielle's school told the kids to wear their green on Friday. She went off to school wearing her green and had a surprise lunch packed for school that day too.
Ava, Zachary, Kate and I had our own surprise green lunch at home. Some folks really got into the party!
"What are you doing to me? It's tipping. It's tipping."
"I got this."
"Alright. Party time!"
When I turned around from making lunch I found a real, live leprechaun eating at the table.
Saturday morning we decided to go downtown for the St. Patrick's Day parade. We met our friends, the Allens, down there. Everyone downtown was very festive. It was a real party. We, of course, loved seeing the piper bands and the highland dancers, but man oh man the rest was awful. So long. It seemed anyone wearing green could hop in the parade. Please refer me back to this post when it sounds fun to me to take everyone to the parade next year. The good that did come from it was that I was finally able to find a teacher for Brie and Ava to start highland dance. Wahoo.
We celebrated St. Patrick's Day by going to church all day. Isn't that what he would've wanted? The excitement began with Lucky Charms for breakfast (believe me, it was exciting) then off to our ward for church followed by Sacrament Meeting in Orem for Heather Allred's mission farewell talk.
When we got home that afternoon we found that a leprechaun really had been to our house. The toilet water was green. Zach kept yelling, "The leprechaun peed in our toilet!!!" And he had left a little treasure hunt around the house with four clues in different places that led the kids to a treasure he left for them in their beds. 

First clue in a shoe?
They each found a pot with treasure in it - some fruit snacks, a juice box, an airhead, a pack of gum and some gold coins. They were thrilled. They were so excited about a leprechaun coming to our house!! Brielle immediately went to work designing a trap for him with a note. It was fun to watch.
Evan, Tawna, Natalie, Landon, Sarah and kids all came over for St. Patrick's Day dinner of corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, rolls and green jello. This is actually one of my favorite meals. Love it!
And the festivities were finished with green colored candy popcorn made be these two lovely lasses.
It was a fun day. Fun time wearing green, trapping leprechauns, eating corned beef and wearing crazy hats. I think we'll do it again next year. Especially after finding this in Brielle's school folder yesterday. Made me smile.

Translation: 
"Dear Lucky,

Thank you for the treasure hunt. It was so much fun. They were so yummy. I have always wanted to find a leprechaun. You are my best friend. Oh, are you a girl or a boy? Good bye Lucky. 

Assigned, Brielle"

2 comments:

Jeni said...

I don't know what article you read, but I'm glad I didn't read it. I echo your sentiments about having kids who don't want or have to wait for much, but I consider that a blessing. And we're creating memories and we have happy kids. Articles like that are written by either fuddy-duddys or jealous women. You're doing a great job, and I say keep up all the holiday goodness that you do!

Teresa said...

Your kids are so lucky to have your excitement and creativity. I think it is completely fantastic. You come up with the neatest things. I love it. Now, I would love to hear how you tricked them all day on April 1st. hehehe