Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Riding Free

I have to say, this day was one of my favorite days as a mom ever. Really. I was so happy. So proud. And so excited. 

Both Brielle and Ava have put off learning to ride a bike without training wheels. They have been perfectly happy going as fast as they wanted on their razor scooters. They saw no use for a bike. Brielle was actually quite scared of trying to ride. It was really time though. All their friends are riding bikes and I knew they would love it!

Ava's friend from preschool came over to play and brought her bike because she wanted to ride with Ava. Kaylee is not even 5 yet. Soooo, when they went out to the driveway to ride bikes and Ava saw that Kaylee rode without training wheels, she was no way going to ride a bike with them. She brought the bike right over to me and asked me to take them off. So, I did. 

We practiced around the driveway for awhile with me holding on to her seat. Soon she figured out balancing and I let go. It was the best feeling. For both of us. She just took off riding. She couldn't control her smile or her laughing. She was so happy. I was the same. Hooray!! She learned to ride a bike. 
 
 I ran inside the house to tell Brielle that Ava was riding on her own and to come watch and see. Brie came out for a second, watched and then went back in to her book. She didn't want to try learning.

We went on with our day, but the thought of Ava riding a bike at 5 years old and Brielle not able to do it yet must have really gotten to her. We went out to dinner and didn't get home until bedtime. It was dark and we should have gone right inside, but Brielle wanted to try riding a bike. So we all stayed outside in the driveway while I helped her figure it out. I ran loops and loops around the driveway holding on to her seat. Then when she was more confident I took her out to the street.

I hope to never forget that moment. It was dark and quiet on the street. The moon was full. And I was running full speed up the middle of the street holding on to the seat of Brielle's bike. On the way back down I ran with her for a minute and then let go. She rode all the way back down the road all by herself. I was cheering from the top of the street and Scott was cheering for her back at the driveway. It was awesome. So exciting.

It makes me so happy to see these two girls riding all over on their bikes now. They are loving it. It's just so fun. 

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I was like Brielle. I only took an interest in riding a bike after Landon came riding up on his bike to me as I was walking home from school. I was ticked...and determined. So Mom took Jonny (foster brother) and I out front to show us how. Jonny picked it up in a few minutes and was off. I was furious! So I tried and tried until I finally learned to ride out of spite and fury. :) I wonder if that was a proud day for our parents.