Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Snow Shoeing to Willow Lake

That's right. I finally got to go snow shoeing!! I have really wanted to try this, especially this winter. Scott and I had big plans to go until his knee was taken out and that plan went too. My friend Anna made a plan to go together. It was all I hoped for. I really liked it. So much so that I am now the proud owner of my very own snow shoes thanks to Scotts big REI coupon. 

We snow shoed to Willow Lake. This is a hike we've done a number of times in the summer, but it was so very different covered in so much fresh, new powdery snow. We couldn't see any trail at all. We just kept climbing up and up and up. It was hard. A real work out. What I loved though was how quiet it was. There were no other people. It was also so untouched. Just peaceful and beautiful. 
 These are the snow shoes - for all my Cali family.
Climbing up. 
At this point, we were relying on the GPS on Anna's phone to even find the lake. There was no detectable trail to follow. 
We made it! I've seen this lake plenty in the summer surrounded by Aspens. It was so crazy to see it completely covered in snow. 
Headed back down. Believe me, much easier. 
 
It was the perfect get-away morning for these two moms of four small children each. Lovely. Thanks Anna. Now I really do get excited to see more snow on the mountains with the hope of possibly going again. 

1 comment:

Sue said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I would love to do that, though maybe not to the lake. Dad and I took you snowshoeing when you were 6 months old, I think the snowshoes looked like tennis rackets.