Saturday was the annual Scottish Festival and Highland Games. We are excited to be a part of this every year and this year was made even better by Alan, Laura and kids being here for the first time. It was fun with a little bit of crazy.
We watched the sheath toss and some other guys throwing large, heavy rocks.
This is the woman who beat out all other women. Tough chick, huh?The girls found just what they HAD to have to be real Scottish princesses and begged for them the rest of the day.
Connor took on the "Champion Sword Fighter" in a sword fight. I'd say Connor held his own quite well.
We watched a bit of Scottish dance competition. Brielle will be starting Scottish dance soon and I'm thinking it will be a great fit. It seems to be just a whole lot of bouncing and jumping around.
Time for lunch. Alan searched out a sausage roll, I got us a Scotch egg (Very interesting. You should try one.), haggis and corned beef cabbage. The girls opted for the safe route with roasted corn.
And then the mass bands and parade of the clans. This is when it got crazy. We've done this for six years now and we've always lined up in the same spot. Well, at the last minute we had to rush ourselves to a different place to be in the parade. We grabbed kids and ran off to claim our place among the different clans to represent Clan Buchanan. They announced Fred as one of the founders of the Utah Scottish Association and he received quite an applause. Here he is announcing the Buchanans.The wind picked up big time. I mean really, really windy. Not the best weather for all those men in kilts. All the kids were crying and tired and the parents were ready to go. We made our way to the car and were out of there after yet another grand time at the Scottish Festival. My ears were actually ringing with bag pipes for hours afterward.



2 comments:
Wonderful! I would love to go with you one year. What a great way to teach your children about their heritage! I saw a girl with a headband with fake, yellow, long hair on it. The headband was from the dollar store, the girls would love it. The hair decoration in the picture reminded me.
It looks like great fun. I'm sorry that I hurt my knee and couldn't attend. Maybe next year. Thanks for taking Fred--he loved it!
Post a Comment