Monday, June 04, 2012

Ode to an O.B.

A few days ago I went to my last appointment with my OBGYN in this process of being pregnant and delivering (checking the IUD). I will now only visit him once a year instead of all those monthly and weekly visits. At the end of this visit, he said, "Well, everything looks good. I'll see you again in one year." I told him how sad that made me. I left his office a little bit teary. Honestly. I did. I really will miss seeing him on a regular basis.

Dr. Thackeray was referred to us by Scott's brother, Brian, when we first moved to Utah. They had gone to medical school together and are good friends. I went to him because it seemed we were not able to get pregnant. Kind of funny now, huh? That very next month I found out I was pregnant. I went to all of my pre-natal appointments with Dr. Thackeray through that pregnancy and then had baby Brielle. I then went to all of my visits with him through my pregnancies with Ava, then Zachary and then Kate. He was at every single one. He didn't miss any. He delivered Ava and Zachary. I excused him for not being around for Brielle's birth because it WAS Christmas day. For Kate, he rushed to the hospital as fast as he could, but she just came too quickly. He walked in right after she was delivered. He has checked on me each morning in the hospital after each baby was born. We've had some good talks.

He has shown me how much he cares about me as a patient and even a friend by now. He has given me all the time I ever wanted in each visit. I never once felt rushed. We talk about my family, his family, upcoming trips, etc. He has answered every question with thoroughness. He has helped me understand anything I was worried about until I felt all was good. He has done many ultrasounds spending a lot of time showing us every part of a new developing baby. He talked good baseball talk with Scott while we waited for Ava to arrive. When I was so sick that last month with Kate, he did all he could to figure it out and try to make it better for me. He called me at home a number of times to check on me. He researched and did tests to make sure everything was ok for me and the baby. What I have appreciated the very most is how patient and calm he is. Just very even keel. A really good man.

I am so very grateful for a doctor that has cared for me the way Dr. Thackeray has through each one of my pregnancies. I am sad to think those visits are over. He feels like such a good friend now. Until next year I guess.

P.S. And no, Tawna, we did not name Zachary for "Thackeray".

P.S.S. I wish I had a picture of me and him and the four kids he helped safely bring to us.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

Wow, sounds like a wonderful Dr. What a blessing. I have enjoyed all 5 of my ob's. None of them were repeats though. That is pretty cool. I am glad you were able to find a good person to take care of you and the babies. You should totally go in and get a picture.

laura said...

There is only one way to ensure that this loving relationship continues. How old is Kate now? I think it is time.

Sue said...

Actually, you could continue to see him more often if you want to, and sometimes as a surprise. I love this post. I had the same Dr. for everyone born in Bakersfield. He also was calm and understanding, he is now retired and they called to tell me so I could schedule my last appointment with him. A good Dr. is great to have!