Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It's a Boy!

We have a new addition at our house. A little Shitzu dog named Maestro! I never thought I'd see the day that I would have a dog. I've never had a dog before, but we have all fallen in love with this guy.

It all started awhile ago when we saw the CUTEST creature ever made in the pet store. He was a little Shitzu puppy. We would go visit him and get him out and play with him. He was adorable, but also cost $800. So, we started liking the idea of having a little dog, but were not going to buy one.

A few weeks ago we heard of a family in our neighborhood who needed to give their Shitzu away. They bought him from a breeder at 10 weeks old. He is full breed. They have loved him and trained him. They got him through all the puppy stuff and now that he is almost three, they have to give him up. So sad. So good for us though. He is SO cute!!!! He has the softest, curly hair. No shedding or allergies because it's hair. Yeah!! He is very clean because he stays inside. He doesn't bark except one little bark at the back door when he needs to go out and go potty. He loves to be wherever we are and sit close. The girls totally love him! Ava has full kissing sessions with him. She gives him a big MWA! kiss on his nose and he licks her back. She laughs hysterically. Brie likes being his mommy and had a full tea party with him. She even spoon fed him his tea.Ava keeping her stuffed animal dog away from him.
Brie dressed up the pretend dog before Maestro came. Can't wait to see what she does with him. She already wants to call him "Jewel".I do still have some hesitations. Maybe because I've never lived with a dog before and I'm a little nervous. I don't like that he gets excited and jumpy when a new person comes in the front door. I don't like that when I go to other people's houses and I don't want people to feel uncomfortable or nervous when they come in our door because of a dog. I also don't really know yet where his "home" will be. I don't know where to put his little pen.

Maestro waiting for the food to drop.
Scott is sooooooooooooo excited and the girls are sooooooooooooo excited. So, I guess I'll get over my little concerns and we'll just enjoy having this new little addition to the family. Good thing he is as cute and good as he is. We already love him!

12 comments:

Sarah A said...

congatulations! He really is a cute dog. I'm looking forward to meeting him in person. I'm also glad that you have a dog becuase that way Aiden can get all his "dog time" at your house and we won't have to get one. Good luck with everything!

Buchanan House said...

He is kind of cute. I hope all his good qualities continue. I can see why Scott is happy because when our fifth boy (Scott) was little, we had already tried a dog, cat, rabbits, goldfish, turtles and horny toads, so we only had a parakeet. And we still have another parakeet that someone gave to Scott right before he moved to Boston which he left with us to care for.

laura said...

I suppose if you HAVE to get a dog, this is the way to do it- older, trained and free. He really is cute. I will make sure and NOT let any of my kids see this post. I will never hear the end of it.

Roger said...

1. Congratulations on a good choice.
2. I don't see how Maestro can be "cute" and Piko is "rat-dog."
3. I will make sure that Laura's kids know that everyone has dogs.
4. All of our guests are flattered that Piko is so excited to see them.

Sue said...

I think that it is interesting that his underbite is cute - it reminds me of Ava's scowl. I do love Shitsus, Terri loves hers. You will love him and he will fit into your family so well, I am excited for you! We had Saxon, but I guess that you were only here about two years with him.

Anonymous said...

Yay! He is adorable! Never thought you'd be a dog owner after Sydney's little "attack" when we were moving those boxes :) Thought she scarred you forever! How fun for Brie and Ava!

Teresa said...

Very cute as far as dogs go. :0 I am glad you guys are keeping him. I do think he is perfect for your family, and he will keep your kitchen floor clean.

Laura H said...

This is Laura B's Aunt Laura. We have 3 Shih Tzus and love them too! He is a cutie! I'm sure you could watch a few Dog Whisperer episodes and learn how to teach him to sit by the door when new folks come. Good luck with this new adventure! I love reading your blog!

Laura H said...

PS.
The biggest thing is watch is to make sure he doesn't "mark" the home to make it 'his'. Our 3 boys have been gated in the kitchen since we were getting too much of that!

Kam said...

Wow. So you're keeping him. Good for you. He is really cute in the pictures. I feel kinda like Laura -- if you HAVE to have a dog, I guess this is a good choice. I'm not sure about the full-mouth kissing sessions... even if he IS clean, he is STILL a dog. good luck!

Maritza said...

He is so cute....I know how you feel, but I also have fallen for our Chloe. These little ones are great for kids and fits right into any family. I am proud of you. I bet the girls are thrilled. My gosh it has been a long time since we have talked...we really need to get together.

Maritza said...

Oh Chloe has that overbite too...so funny.