Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Kirkin O' Th' Tartan

Sunday was the annual Kirkin O' Th' Tartan. We have been attending this every year with Scott's dad, Fred, who was born and raised in Scotland. It really is the neatest thing to go to. It is held at the First Presbyterian Church. The church itself is beautiful. It's huge and has high ceilings and stain glassed windows. When you bring a scottish pipe band in there with drums and bag pipes it really booms. The pipe band plays, the choir sings, the minister gives a sermon and then those representing each clan come forward in a prosession to have their tartan blessed. Scott and his dad represented the Buchanans. They were both in their kilts and held the Buchanan tartan over thier arm. The minister gives a different blessing on each clan/family. I am so glad that Scott is able to do this with his father. It means a lot to both of them.

I took video this time. The first is Amazing Graze. The second is of my favorite song, Highland Cathedral. It's beautiful. The band was playing and choir singing and the clans were lined up in front of the minister for the blessings. Here are the words to the song:

There is a land far from this distant shore
Where heather grows and Highland eagles soar
There is a land that will live ever more
Deep in my heart, my Bonnie Scotland

Though I serve so far away
I still see your streams, cities and dreams
I can't wait until the day
When I'll come home once more

And so Lord keep me from the harm of war
Through all its dangers and the battle's roar
Keep me safe until I'm home once more
Home to my own in Bonnie Scotland




*Sorry. Video didn't work. I'll try again.*

6 comments:

turleybenson said...

The Buchanan tartan is very stylish!

Sue said...

We have GOT to plan a trip up there during the Scottish festival! June's New Era is about the pipers in Nauvoo, 5 pages and excellent. It starts, "10 miles down the Mississippi River you hear them."

Sue said...

The Nauvoo Pipers are on www.newera.lds.org under video. Mine didn't make sound the first time I tried, try again.

Roger said...

O Scotia! my dear, my native soil!
For whom my warmest wish to heaven is sent;
Long may thy hardy sons of rustic toil
Be blest with health, and peace, and sweet content.
Robert Burns

And I am glad to see that Fred left his O'bama shirt at home.

Teresa said...

I have to laugh at this post. You know how I am looking through old posts to find recipes people have put up? I just saw your Tartan post from last year a couple of days ago, and it is amazing how identical they are from last year to this.
I love that Scott keeps up with his heritage so much. What a great thing for your family.

Unknown said...

Scott in a kilt. I absolutely LOVE it.