Sunday, December 07, 2008

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

Christmas has begun at our house. In one day we cleared away turkey decorations and Thanksgiving leftovers and went right into Christmas. It came so quick! To bring in the holiday spirit we have . . . .

. . . purchased and set up in the house a BEAUTIFUL Douglas Fir tree. It's over 8 feet tall and smells oh so good. I love a big, real tree.
. . . started playing Christmas music in the car (even though Brie begs for "The Little Mermaid") and all the Christmas CDs at home. We have a lot of dancing to Christmas music going on.
. . . made sugar cookies in the shapes of bells, angels, snowmen, candy canes, etc. They were not all that delicious (I need a different recipe) so we ate them instead of taking them to the new family on our street like we were supposed to. We'll try again.. . . went to our play group's Christmas party. The girls dressed as angels, they sang songs, Santa filled their shoes with candy and mostly they got to run wild with their friends.
. . . started watching all the classic Christmas movies - Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer, The Elf, Charlie Brown's Christmas and of course, Tinker Bell.
. . . taken our family picture for our Christmas cards and for the yearly picture ornament on our tree. The photo shoot went as it usually does . . . awful. Watch out for your card in the mail. . . . shopped and shopped and shopped. I am amazed, but I really think I'm done. I have one present project to work on and then I really think I can be done. Yahoo!
. . . decorated our house and our Christmas tree. I actually have to re-do this every day.
(Ava has started to really cheese it up for pictures. We get out the camera and she arches her back, looks up, smiles really big and says "CHEEEEEEESE!".)
. . . taken Christmas treats and a message about Christ to the women I visit teach.
. . . really enjoyed all of the Christmas candy, hot chocolate and milk and cookies.. . . set up the Little People Nativity set and my "special, glass" nativity set with the girls as I told/tried to teach them the story of baby Jesus being born. Brie plays with this every day, but Mary and the three wise men are all princesses. She hides them from Ava. Ava can't play with them because she's not a princess. She wears pants.
. . . visited Grandma Rama and Papa Fred and played with their Christmas Village and read Christmas stories.
We're lovin' the holidays!

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Sounds wonderful!! You have gotten a lot done so far. What are you going to do the rest of the month. :) We are slowly getting in to the Christmas spirit, and I know it will come no matter how slow I am. I LOVE the family Christmas picture. It is perfect!

Sharol said...

Your girls are so cute, and I love your tree! I got a great sugar cookie recipe from this site:
http://www.ourbestbites.com/
THe sugar cookis are acouple of posts down. It is a cooking blog by 2 LDS moms, and everything I have tried is really good.

Sue said...

Wow! You have really gotten into the spirit. I am just taking down the fall stuff, hopefully we will be ready by Wednesday. I love the pictures, everyone looks so happy and Christmasy. Did you try the cookie recipe in the red book, it is the one that I use.

Aaron and Jen said...

It looks like you guys are having so much fun! And now it is snowing....Emma saw the snow and said, "NOW Christmas is coming!" haha

Kam said...

It's been soooo long since we talked, it's making me sad. Brian said you called today -- sorry I missed you. Maybe tomorrow?

Your tree looks gorgeous, I love that you use the Buchanan plaid ribbons -- such a great idea, if your Scottish.

Ava is getting so grown up, but she still looks so tiny.

Missing you, kam

Unknown said...

I am emailing you my Grandma Holloway's sugar cookie recipe. It has won tons of awards, and even Randi would say, "Damn, that's a good cookie." Try it and let me know what you think. The trick is to use real butter (none of that margarine or can't believe it's not butter crap) and get the dough reaaaaallly cold (as in, make one day and let it sit in the fridge covered overnight before you do anything with it), and to keep it in the fridge in between times when you're rolling out batches. It's a sticky dough, so you have to use lots of floor, and I always roll mine out with a rolling pin that has a pastry cloth wrapped around it, which makes a big difference. Also, don't roll the dough out really thin. I only rough my dough out to about 1/2" which I think is more than most sugar cookies, but the result is MOIST sugar cookies. And who doesn't like a moist cookie?? Let me know how you like them. Recipe is on its way!