Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Buchanan Thanksgiving 2008

Yup, we hosted Thanksgiving at our house again this year and, as always, it was GREAT!!! Great enough that it has taken me almost a week to get to posting anything about it. I think we have recovered. My family left and yesterday I mopped and vacuumed all of the floors, cleaned all of the bathrooms, did loads of laundry and got things back in order. Today we finished off the turkey leftovers in a turkey noodle vegetable soup (delicious). So, Thanksgiving is feeling over and now we are moving on to Christmas. It seems so quick.

My family came to town for Thanksgiving. What made it so great was that my brother, Evan, had arrived home from his mission to Seattle the Wednesday before. It was SO WONDERFUL to see him again. I am so glad he was with us. He was awesome with Brie and Ava and just good to have around again. Notice his delightful smile in all of the pictures.

On Thanksgiving day we, of course, started out with the appetizers and football. Meanwhile, in the kitchen, I made homemade stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc. , my mom made the mashed potatoes and Scott made the turkey.We had some special guests with us this year. My grandma came from St. George. My cousin, Melody, and her husband and daughter. And the Chens. The Chens are a family from Taiwan that were in the U.S. dropping one son off at the M.T.C. and picking up their other son who had just finished his mission with Evan. It was really neat to have them.Ava LOVED snuggling with Uncle Evan after her nap. At last, some girl affection for the guy.
That night we all (the girls and Jason) went to see Twilight. Some liked it, some didn't. I was in the "didn't" group. And the next morning was spent shopping, of course. While we shopped, Scott stayed home with the girls and my dad. They had a much better time at home than if they were with us in lines at the stores. They made a fort that the girls had so much fun in and the men loved napping in.The princess found the monster (grandpa) in the fort.
We also went to see the lights at Temple Square and Gallivan Plaza, ate out, visited family, played games and ate leftovers. It was the best. We'll be doing it again in a month when we head to Cali. Can't wait.

7 comments:

Melody said...

It WAS fabulous. I was just thinking today how glad I was you invited us. You and Scott are so talented and such excellent hosts. We loved the food, the company, the decorations, EVERYTHING!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, and an extra thank you to Scott for watching Brooklyn. What a great day!

Sarah A said...

What a fabulous thanksgiving. The food all looks delicious. And I am very impressed with your playgroup activities. Our playgroups mostly involve putting all the kids somewhere where they can't escape and letting chaos reign. Yours looks much more organized and impressive. Way to go!

Roger said...

Alicia and Scott are wonderful hosts. We always appreciate how willing they are to feed the herd.
The only downside was that Scott made me watch BYU/Utah football lowlites.

laura said...

That looks like a very lazy monster in the princess fort. The weekend looks so great. I haven't even talked to you about Twilight yet. I think I'm the only LDS woman who hasn't see it.

Teresa said...

Yay! I love your posts about when the family comes. Your Thanksgiving looks fantastic and as always I am jealous of your talent at party throwing. All the pictures were great and it sounds like a wonderful weekend.

P.S. I enjoyed Twilight. I am not obsessed with the book, but it was a decent read and the movie was pretty good. Just thought I would chime in on that.

Sue said...

I loved our weekend with the family at the Buchanan's, thank you. I got very little accomplished, but loved the company and Krista and Evan made some pocket change by wrapping/eating taffy with Tawna for two days.

Buchanan House said...

That turkey looks delicious--what a very fine roasting pan to put it in. Scott and Alicia are wonderful cooks and hosts for every kind of occasion.