Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Love A Good Deal!

No matter what, setting up a new house is expensive! The good thing for me is that I love doing it and it is even better when I find great deals to make it so much less expensive. I try so hard to make it look good without spending a lot of money. I am definitely my mother's daughter. She would shop around forever to get the best deal. Now, when my sisters and I are together, if someone is complimented on something cute our first response is, "Guess how much I paid for it?". Usually, we are only impressed if it was under $10.

This weekend we got Brielle's new room set up. I am so excited about it. We bought her a basic twin size mattress at Costco for $140 a few weeks ago. We had no frame or bed to put it on though so I kept looking on Craigslist.org (people selling used furniture) for a frame. Well, on Saturday morning I came across a woman selling a Pottery Barn headboard, mattress, box spring, frame, two Pottery Barn side tables, a little lamp and some white shelves - all for $150!! Yahoo. So we rushed over before someone else could buy it and bought it all and took the mattress back to Costco. Now she has a whole Pottery Barn cute room all for the price of the twin mattress! Can you believe it?

The bed is a full size. It's kind of crazy that a little 19 pound girl has such a big bed. I didn't have more than a twin until I was 25 and bought it myself. Oh well, she'll get to have this cute little room until Ava joins her and they both have twin beds.

I also worked on the kitchen a little last week. I went around to lots of stores and checked things out and got ideas. I then went to D.I. and other clearance sales and decorated on top of the kitchen cabinets just how I wanted, but for a 1/4 of the price! Yeah!

Another exciting deal was our new rug (sorry Laura). We wanted a rug for under the kitchen table and had been looking, but do you know how expensive they are? I was at Pier 1 one day and they just happen to have these beautiful, soft, plush, wool rugs. They were $300. Well, starting that day they trying to get rid of what they had, so I bought it for $74! Another yeah!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brie's room looks great !
You are my inspiration Alicia, I have a hard time buying or waiting for a great deal. I am trying and I started last night I bought my first item on craigslist last night and I loved it.

Roger said...

You are right...bananas and rice cereal look so much better mashed into "beautiful, soft, plush, wool rugs" than into linoleum.

Teresa said...

Your decorating talent amazes me. I wish you could have left just a smidgen of it for me! I literally have no talent, and very little interest. Everything looks great, and you will learn about the carpet on your own I guess. :) haha

Sue said...

I love your decorating. Every room looks great! I really love above the cupboards in the kitchen, is it a beach theme? Great job, I can't wait to see it.

Dunn Family said...

I absolutely love Brie's room. That bedroom set is such a great deal!! How do you get so lucky?!! Pottery Barn! Brie is a lucky girl. I think it all looks so good! I have been looking for the black table. I will keep you updated.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm so impressed with your decorating skills. When you are all finished, come over and redecorate my whole house--it really needs it and I have absolutely NO TALENT in that area. Like Ariana said: "Grandma, your house needs an extreme makeover."

laura said...

Where do I start?
I LOVE Brie's room and can NOT believe the deal. There's nothing I love more than a good deal.
I LOVE the paint color in the kitchen, and the decorations you've added are perfect. I love a crisp white, with a beachy blue- that was my old bedroom. Well done.
And I do LOVE that rug. It's funny- you have tile and wanted a rug. We have carpet and want tile. Brie must be a very neat eater.

laura said...

Oh- also, the shelves in Brielle's room- are those pegs on them. I think it would be cute to hang her name from them with that orange/red ribbon.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I really appreciate everyone's compliments. How nice. I'm glad for the reassurance that things are coming along ok. I always want to ask your opinions, but your not here! Thank you. Mostly, I'm writing to say . . . Laura - You are the smartest person EVER! I have been racking my brain trying to think what to hang on those stinkin pegs. I haven't had a clue! Great idea.

Oh, I know, I know about a rug under a child eating. But, we've had one ever since Brie was born and we've never had anything land on it that we couldn't easily clean up. I like the look and feel of it. Let's hope this next baby is as clean of an eater.

laura said...

I love Brielle's room! So cute.

But why switch to twin beds when Ava is older? My mom said Mary and I slept great and never got up at night once we shared a bed. And you already have a bed they can share in a darling room!