Sunday, September 23, 2012

Turkey Leg!

We went to the Utah State Fair. We had to. I grew up with the Great Kern County Fair being one of the biggest events to hit Bakersfield. There is excitement in the air when the fair comes to town. Scott doesn't feel it so much, but he is a good sport as I kind of force us all to go walk through the stinky animals and questionable fair going folks. 
Scott does get excited about the "Butter Cow". Always his favorite part - a whole sculpture made completely of butter. Impressive, right?
The kids favorite part of the fair is "Little Hands on the Farm". This year we walked through the gates and they immediately had to go directly there. They got to go through twice. It really is so cute.
We made our way through every last cow, chicken, sheep and goat. Things got interesting while visiting the sheep when the kids kept asking, "Mommy, what is that thing hanging down underneath the sheep?" We got a good lesson in anatomy with Zachy yelling out, "I have one of those!"
Done with the animals we moved on to the food - corn on the cob and a turkey leg! They were pretty happy.
Hanging out watching the Horse Pull.
We stopped to see another amazing act - high divers. They were seriously diving from a diving board 80 feet up in the air! Into a make shift pool that certainly did not look deep enough. I was afraid for their lives, but they all survived.

Kate can't take her eyes off it! It was just THAT amazing!
It got dark and it was time for bed so headed for home. Everyone had a fun time. I was questioned every day afterward when we would be going back to the fair. There will be more turkey leg next year for sure.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Love that you went to the fair! I would love to be able to go to the Kern County Fair as well. Can i request MORE pictures of Kate? She is so dang cute!

Sue said...

Wonderful fair! Great family tradition! Now you just need a potato.

Jeni said...

I'm sad we missed it, but honestly that is something I probably couldn't do without David. I took my kids and a neighbor kid to the circus last Friday night and I thought I was going to lose my mind. So next fall, FOR SURE, let's plan on it! Being from Alabama, I love me a good fair!