Thursday, September 13, 2012

Starting School - Spanish Immersion

Brielle started first grade. She was very excited and just a little bit nervous, mostly about learning Spanish. Oh, and about what outfit she would wear. You know how everyone else had pictures of THE outfit their child had chosen for their first day all laid out on the floor? This is how our floor looked that morning.
Brielle was starting at a new school with new friends, new teacher and going to be there all day. Big change. I was a bit nervous too. All the nerves went away when we arrived at school the first day. Her best friend from preschool, also named Brielle, was standing there waiting for her. She put her arm around her and started introducing her to all of her little friends at this new school. Brie never really looked back at me, except for a quick hug. She stood there all huddled up in this little group of girls all chatting away excitedly. Amazingly, at this new school in a new program that is lottery to get in, Brielle has four friends from her preschool class and two from her kindergarten class. What a blessing. She is thrilled to be with them again. I had a hard first day having her gone so long. She's never been gone that long before. I'm happy for her though and now we are all adjusted.
 We changed schools so that Brielle could be in a Spanish Immersion program. We had REALLY hoped she would get in. We applied and then waited for the lottery and were THRILLED when she was accepted. Now she, and all of our children, will go through elementary school with half of their day in English and half completely in Spanish with a native speaking Spanish teacher. They never hear this teacher speak English. Those that we know in dual immersion are fluent in the language by second grade. WAHOO! Love it.

I've had a few mixed responses to us choosing a dual immersion program for our kids. There are so many reasons we really wanted this for them. Some of the most important are:

1. We (Scott and I) both speak Spanish and both served missions in Spanish speaking countries. I love the language and I really love the people of those countries that speak it. It is dear to my heart.

2. We live in an area with no cultural diversity (or any kind of diversity). This has always concerned me. I'm happy living here, but I do want to offer my kids any chance to learn about, appreciate and love other cultures, countries, languages and people. This is one way I can do this. Brielle's teacher this year is from Spain and next year is from Columbia. She gets to learn the language, but also so much of the culture. I want our kids to be adventurous and go out into the world and be happy and comfortable and appreciative of everyone and everything they find there.

3. The United States is one of the only countries (including third world countries) that doesn't teach first graders a second language. And we are really low on the scale when it comes to public education. It will be such an advantage to know a second language, especially one that is so commonly spoken around us.

4. Learning a second language REALLY helps you understand the ins and outs of your own language better. I learned this big time in the MTC.

5. My dream is that one day, when our kids get to about 6th grade and are fluent Spanish speakers, that we can take them to do service or humanitarian work in a Spanish speaking country. I think it is vital that they see how so many people in the rest of the world live compared to our extremely blessed lives. And how cool to be able to speak the language when we go!

Those left at home that first day of elementary school were jealous. They strapped on their own backpacks and pretended to be going off to school just like Brielle all day.
 Well, the day for Ava to start Preschool again finally came. She got to return to Ms. Chris, who she loves, and to a class of friends that were all in her preschool class last year. Easy peesy! She is very happy to be in school again.
 And now, I am left at home in the mornings three days a week with just these two hooligans. Everyone is very happily going about their new schedule.

2 comments:

Sue said...

WONDERFUL! We were just wondering how Brielle is doing, I noticed you didn't say anything academic.
What a great opportunity for her and everyone else. I am so happy that she already had friends.

Rama said...

Your children are growing up so fast. They look taller and cuter and smarter in every picture as the months go by. And what an exciting summer you all had! We now wish you a happy fall and winter season.