Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Announcing the birth of . . . . Norman

I grew up going to the Kern County fair and every year a good amount of time was spent watching the pen of pregnant cows in hopes of seeing one of them give birth. I really didn't want to take my eyes off of those cows, because I was sure if I watched long enough I would get lucky and get to see a cow born. Well, my dreams kinda sorta came true with Norman, the cow.

I took the kids to Wheeler Farm (a favorite in the summer time) and of course, we fed the ducks at the duck pond, watched sticks go down the creek, visited all of the animals, went on the tractor hay ride and had a picnic by the overflowing, raging, rushing river.Zachy feeding a baby goat.
Can you see his lips doing "vrrrrrooommm"?
We even did a little photo shoot so that I could figure out how to use my camera OUT of "auto".

BrielleAva
Zachary (doesn't cooperate so well).
And during our visit to Wheeler Farm we came upon a cow laying down in the sun and looking quite miserable. She looked super full of milk. I thought that was the problem, until I saw a good kick come from her tummy. She was in labor and had been in labor for three days. I really was quite tempted to just stay and watch and wait it out until I got to see that calf be born. Of course, I didn't get to. We went inside with her and Brielle mooed and mooed at her trying to talk her through it and give her support. I'm sure she appreciated that.
We watched for a long time and then wished her luck and said good bye. I was excited to get back to see her. We went back just a couple of days later and guess who we met? Presenting NORMAN! Just days old.Brielle, of course, started mooing again to say hi and welcome Norman to the world. It was so cool for us to see the baby out and about.
We had to say good bye and go.
But, you can bet Brielle just kept on mooing.

2 comments:

laura said...

So glad you got to see the baby cow, and avoid the actual birth which brought me to tears at the Kern County Fair.
Looks like your having a perfect summer- picnics, hikes, BBQing. So fun.

Rama said...

Summer just gets better and more fun every day for your family with all the exciting events. And those 3 kids get cuter every time I see them.