Wednesday, April 29, 2009

CALIFORNIA

On Wednesday, a couple of weeks ago, I was driving through so much snow you would have thought it was January in Alaska. Just a couple days later we were basking in the warm sun out by the pool in Bakersfield, CA. The grass was green, the trees were green and it was so warm! 103 degrees one day! We loved going to California for a week and a half and we were all sad to leave.

Potty stop on the road. (This potty is brought along only in case of emergencies if we are in the middle of nowhere on the road. Barstow is the middle of nowhere right?)
In the pool on the 103 degree day. Lovin Bako! Brie spent hours in the hot tub EVERY DAY!
Sitting out at Davin's baseball game on a warm Bakersfield evening. Perfect!
New baby Lila.
We got to be there for my mom's birthday. Happy Birthday to her. She did it right with banana splits for her birthday treat.
Last year the fam showed us the cowboy side of Bakersfield with Buck Owens Crystal Palace. It was great. This year we went more to the Mexican side and loved it. That is just what I know and love about B-town. The Ranch Market was the best. It was Taco Tuesday and I don't think we could have been happier than with all those delicious tacos and tons of Horchata!Mom tried to do something to help Ava's head of hair. Thank you. It definitely looks better.
Ava and Piko (the dog) had a very special relationship from the moment we arrived. Ava would hug her, kiss her, lay on her, chase her around and Piko seemed to put up with it pretty well. They spent a lot of time in the backyard with Ava throwing things (maybe 2 feet) and Piko chasing them.
We stayed in Las Vegas on the drive home to break things up a bit. We thought it would be fun to show the girls the lights on the strip. Wow! Things have changed around there. Definitely not a family friendly atmosphere. We stayed at the Stratosphere (for $29, thank you Priceline) and in the morning we swam in the pool overlooking Vegas and then went to the top of the Stratosphere. Brie called it a big cupcake and was thrilled to go up into the cupcake. It was quite a view, but too bad cupcakes weren't served.
Then back home to Utah only to find a total and complete JUNGLE in our front yard. Seriously. The grass was so thick and tall. See if you can tell how tall it is on Brie from the clump Scott left after cutting it. Now the grass is cut, laundry is done, fridge and cupboards are filled and lots of phone calls have been made (still more to go) and we are back to normal. We had such a great vacation to California. Can't wait for next time!

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Awesome! I am assuming Disneyland will be a post of it's own. I love your posts about going home. And what I find the most interesting is the grass both at your house and Bakersfield. In Georgia, we don't have real grass. That looks almost fake to me because it is so green and perfect. Our grass is more like a lot of little weeds. No wonder everyone drives on the grass. :)
Anyone, the girls look adorable and the pool looks so refreshing, can't wait until I am in it.

Sarah A said...

ahhhh... I'm dreaming of our Bakersfield vacation. Seriously. I'm so excited for our vacation there. Bakersfield gets a bad rap, but you just can't beat a pool vacation.

As for the grass. That is one of the things I love about Utah. That is grass you can definitely lay in.

Sue said...

That makes ME want to visit Bakersfield. You must bring the fun with you, no wonder we love for all of you to come home.
I can't believe the grass! And, in CA we all have gardeners, so or course our grass looks great. But, it is not good lay on grass.

Kam said...

Welcome back. How fun to see all the Allreds again. I've not seen pictures of Laura's kids for sooo long, and they look soooo grown up! I was really surprised! They definitely have an Allred look about them. The banana splits look so delicious. And that pool... oh! Divine!

I'm jealous of your grass. It looks so lush and green and wonderful. Don't you just want to go spread out a blanket and lay there smelling that fresh-cut smell?! We've been complaining all week about our yucky, measly little lawn that must have been planted with "budget seed." It's the prickliest, slowest growing stuff -- still brown, even though the rest of the neighborhood lawns are thriving.

missed you.
Kamber

Aaron and Jen said...

Looks like so much fun! Oh to sit in a pool on a hot day....I'm ready for summer!