Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Sad, Sad Ava

Ava has had some sad days. Honestly, no lie, not one of us in this house have been at all sick since we went to Boston last August. We went over 6 months without throwing up, without a fever, without a sniffle . . . . UNTIL . . . . last Sunday night when Ava woke up in the middle of the night with croup! She had a deep cough and couldn't breath well. I spent some time between 1:30am and 3:30am with her in the steam in the bathroom. Then we spent some time bundled up outside watching the snowfall. This TOTALLY brought her breathing back. Amazing. Scott spent some time with her at the E.R. After a steroid the next day she recovered VERY quickly.Brie has remained her usually charming self and didn't get any cough or sniffle from Ava . . . UNTIL . . . last night when she threw up all over her bed at midnight. I have no idea what was wrong. She is perfectly fine now, but loves to tell Ava how sick she is. (P.S. I think someone is going to have teach this girl about BYU's honor code if she wants to continue supporting the school.)

Another cause for sadness . . . . Maestro, the dog, is gone. Ava and Brie ADORED that little dog. He really is so cute and we all loved him, but after 2 weeks, he went back to his original owners (who were thrilled to have him back). The top 5 reasons:

1. He barked every night for an hour when we put him to bed. He barked every morning from 4am on until we got him out of bed. That might have changed as he got used to our house, but the night we were up in the middle of the night with a sick Ava he barked and barked and barked. We will always be up in the night, especially with a new baby. I can't have a dog barking every time he hears us up.

2. He chewed on all of the girls toys that were left on the ground. We had a pile of chewed up toys from him. Brie would always get upset and try to get them back. One day he was chewing on a water bottle lid and Brie went up to pet him. He thought she was taking away his toy (and I'm sure was tired of little girls all over him) and turned around and bit her hand.

3. Ava would get handfuls of his food (all day), swish it around in his water and follow him around the house and feed it to him. There was water everywhere. Dog food everywhere. Her pajamas were also always filled with dog food.
4. Ava loved EVERYTHING about the dog. She followed him EVERYWHERE! She always said "Come on doggy!" if she wanted him to follow. She said "Bye Bye doggy" every time she went up to bed. She hugged him, she kissed him, she rolled around with him. The problem was when she wanted to play with him. She would pull on his hair or ears or tail. I felt like I was yelling all day for Ava to be soft, Ava stop pulling his ears, Maestro put that toy down, etc. etc.

5. The dog liked to hump Ava.

Bye, bye doggy. We gave it a good try. Maybe it will work when our kids are older.

6 comments:

Sarah A said...

Thank you fo including number 5. So funny. And what a rough couple nights with your girls!! Ugh, not fun.

laura said...

I wish I was in Utah with you over Spring Break, BUT I am SO glad I'm not with you in Utah over Spring Break. Sounds like a real Germ fest. No place for a 7 week old. You have 1 1/2 weeks to get well.

And thank you for using the word hump. I just don't hear it enough these days.

Sue said...

i think a picture of # 5 would be funny, too. The poor things crate is too small. I am so sorry to hear about the illness! It is interesting how this trip just didn't come together, and now there is good reason. I wonder about things like that.

Teresa said...

This post really made me laugh. First of all the fact that Brie is always in something completely immodest and revealing and this time sporting a BYU shirt. And second about the dog. I am very glad you had the option of getting rid of her. I think those are all great reasons, and like my mother-in-law says, you have enough kids running around, maybe a dog can wait until the kids can help or are out of the house. Bye, bye maestro.

A, M and S said...

I hope you all feel better soon! Sorry about the dog. Nice to have a trial run and a way out, though.
R

Roger said...

I went to BYU for 4 years and never saw a coed dressed like Brie. It must be some other influence. Hmmmmmmmmmmm