Saturday, August 17, 2013

Hobble Creek Half Marathon. I did it!

 So back in May I registered for the Hobble Creek Half Marathon. I had heard great things about this half and had wanted to do it for a few years. I got in and was registered! Problem was that although I had been running every other day for a year, I only ever ran 4 to 6 miles. I had NEVER run more that 6 miles. And I was scared that I really wouldn't be able to.

This was a huge deal for me. Huge. It was definitely physically challenging. I had to maintain running during the week while all kids were home from school for the summer. I would wait until Kate's nap time after lunch, put on a show for the other kids and do my run on the treadmill in the basement. On Saturdays, I would do my long runs. I remember the first time I ran past six miles. I came around the corner on to our street and saw our neighbor. He said, "Hi." I shouted back with way too much excitement, "I am just finishing 8 miles!!!" I couldn't believe it. I felt so amazing that I could actually run that far and feel okay. I had done it. This just boosted my confidence that I could go even further.

Next long run I did 10.25! I felt awesome. Then, when we were in Bakersfield for our family reunion I decided to run from Laura's house to my mom and dad's house and back. It was a nice change because it was sooooooo flat! Not a single hill. It was also sooooooo hot. I ran 12 miles that day. When we were back home I did my first 13 mile run and felt good. I knew I was ready for the half marathon and I was getting more and more anxious and excited.

I guess the biggest thing for me in training for this was that this was just for me. It felt good to do something that was all about me. My days are filled with taking care of everyone else. I rarely get time just for myself. My training runs completely depended on me. And when I was out, it was just me. It was my goal and it felt like a big one. A hard one. And I did it! I loved that feeling.

(August 17) The morning of the race, I woke up at 3:30am, drove by myself down to Mapleton with my ipod and running shoes. I got my bib number pinned on and boarded the bus at 4am. They bused us up Hobble Creek Canyon and dropped us off. We then walked a mile in the pitch black dark to the start line where there was quite a line up of outhouses. I went to the bathroom four times. I think I was just nervous and ready to get this thing started.

We started the race and I went strong for the first 10 miles. I started getting really tired then and the sun was high in the sky and beating down on me. Luckily, just before mile 11 and as I was going up my first good sized hill, I got a glimpse of Scott and kids in the distance. I was surprised and can not even say how happy I was to see them. They gave quick hugs and cheers and I kept on going.
I pushed myself to the end and found them again waiting for me at the finish line. I was beat. I was so hot and so tired. Brie, Ava and Zachary jumped into the race and ran me into the finish line! Wahoo! It was over.
Some delicious watermelon and pineapple!

2 comments:

Randi said...

Alicia, you are such a beast! This is a major accomplishment, and I'm so proud of you! You looked amazing at the finish line, by the way. What's up with that? If I ever run a half marathon, I don't want ANY photographs of my sweaty, "Oh my gosh, is that girl having a stroke?" face.

Again, you are FIERCE!!!

Sue said...

YAY! Great job!