Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Girl's Trip

We were so excited when we found out that Jessica (back from Saudi Arabia), Krista and Kea were driving to Utah from California to visit us. We had so much fun with them even though they were in Utah during the four hottest days we've had this whole year. We, of course, packed in the good times. 

We started with an outdoor concert at Deer Valley. It was nice and cool up there, the music was good, the scenery was beautiful and it was nice to be with so much of our family. Sarah and her kids were with us too. We brought a picnic dinner and then laid back and watched the kids dance up front through the whole concert. They had a blast! I think Brielle taught the cousins a few new dance moves. Oh, and to help with that, she and Ava were wearing their new belly dancing wraps that Jessica brought them from Egypt. Really helped with the shimmying. 
Check out Zachy's moves.
Brielle and Kea shakin' it up on stage.
Jessica had missed the green and mountains being stuck in the Saudi desert all year and all. So we took her up to the mountains again for a hike to Donut Falls. It was hot! But still fun and still pretty.

Lunch on a log for these ladies.
Jessica helping the kids down the rock slide. Because she's so good with rocky precipices and all. 
Kate didn't make it too far in before she looked like this. Poor thing. Good thing she's still so flexible.
Crossing the icy, cold river.
Sarah and I with a baby strapped on and three year olds that just couldn't make it on their own. We should have been pioneer women.
The end of the hike. We made it and we're still smiling!
Shave ice for all the weary hikers.
Cheers to cousins!
After all the fun with the kids, it was high time to get a babysitter and go out with just the adults. We went to dinner together and Iceberg for shakes. A pretty great night with the siblings. It was fun to have Krista and Jess join the Utah Allreds. (Sarah, Jessica, Alicia, Scott, Krista, Tawna, Evan, Landon)
Apparently, Evan was bored with our dinner conversation.
As part of the continuing summer entertainment, we took the kids to the drive-in movie the next night to see Monster University. They all laid on top of each other in the back of the van and seemed to be very happy.
Especially when the leftover Iceberg shakes came out.
The movie ended at about 11pm. Late enough, right? Everyone said good bye and left. I finished putting seats together, went to start the van to go and the battery was dead. Stink! It's so late, I have three little girls that have to pee, I'm surrounded by the classy folks that have their kids at the drive-in at midnight and a dead battery. I was able to get the guy next to me to jump the van and we finally made it out of there, putting the kids to bed at midnight and us at 1am. Yikes.

I'm training for a half so I still got up at 5am to run 11 miles the next morning. Oh, and did I mention the heat wave. It was so hot, even at 5am. Looking back, I should have given up on that run, but I did it. As soon as I got back we packed the van up with kids and food to go up Millcreek Canyon to celebrate Krista's birthday that day. Landon and I cooked up some delicious eggs in a frame and delivered quite a stack to the birthday girl.
Zachary and Aiden sword fighting with fishing poles.
And what more could any girl ask for than a birthday lemonade from Aiden's lemonade stand to top it all off.
It was a fun visit. So glad those girls came.

No comments: