Saturday, August 25, 2012

Mount Whitney

That is right folks, it has taken me awhile, but I have finally tackled the 800+ pictures of the Mt. Whitney hike. They may not be in order, but what do I know, I was at home lounging in the pool with the kids. 

This was THE hike. It was a BIG deal. The hike was talked about and planned for a year leading up to it. They mapped out their route. They shopped for and bought new gear. They weighed every ounce of food and clothing that they would pack. They went on training hikes. Etc. etc. etc.

The hike was a celebration of my dad having a new heart through heart transplant and actually being able to hike again. Since heart disease started for him 13 years ago he had not been able to be up in the mountains and hike. Something he really loves. So, once he recovered from the transplant he started dreaming, hoping and planning for a hike with his family to the top of Mt. Whitney. The highest peak in the continental U.S. 

The 60+ mile hike was also to recognize the 60th birthdays of both my mom and dad. They did this hike together. Seven days and six nights of hiking about 10 miles a day.

Here is the group heading out on their first day - Brian and Laura, Bryce and Serena, Mom and Dad, Evan, Scott. Landon would join them on the trail (after a CRAZY ride getting there).
When I asked Scott for details of the hike he said, "We walked, filtered water, walked, filtered water, walked, set up camp, slept, walked again. Oh and filtered water."
Setting up camp for the night.
A very cute picture of Laura, the hiker.
Bryce and Serena relaxing by the river and filtering water.
I love this picture of Scott taking a break to ponder on the complexities of the universe.
Over the river and through the woods.
Looks like what I'm sure was a very refreshing dip for everyone in Guitar Lake where they camped the night. Here is Landon having his bath/swim.
Camp for the night.
The view from the tent in the morning. Beautiful, I say.
Brothers.

From Guitar Lake, they left their packs and tents and headed up to the summit of Mt. Whitney.
Brian and Laura arriving triumphantly at the top! They all made it!
Scott jumping for joy at the summit of Mt. Whitney. 14,504 ft.
Bryce and Serena at the top.

 They called us from the summit on Friday morning, which was very exciting. I talked to them while in my swim suit in the pool. We then realized they still had 3 more days of hiking out to get back home. So, they began walking again.
Evan got to celebrate his birthday on Saturday with some dehydrated ice cream. Happy Birthday to you!
Gorgeous!
The end. They finished it, went to breakfast for some real food finally and then showed up at home a little tired, a little dirty, a little scruffy and ready to jump in the pool with the rest of us. 
A big congratulations to all the hikers. I am so happy they all made it safely up the mountain and back home.

4 comments:

Roger said...

It was a wonderful experience that gets more fun with each passing day.

Rama said...

That was a terrific experience in great weather. Congratulations to all for making it there and back without any accidents. The views are really beautiful!

Sue said...

A great write-up, thank you. I agree with Scott, we walked, we filtered, repeat. Thank you to those who had the water filtered before I reached camp each day. Thanks to Roger for thinking this up and planning it. A great week.

Jeni said...

Your dad truly inspires me. You are such a neat family; so glad we are friends! And that picture of Scott at the summit is EPIC. It needs to be framed. And after our little stroll up to Ensign Peak, you know it made me queasy just looking at it too. :)