Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Little Too Close for Comfort

I had a birthday. My 37th birthday. I am perfectly happy with my age, with what I've done with my 37 years and with my life at this age, but hearing the number "37" made me get really nervous for how close that is to the number "40". I just can not even imagine that I will be 40 in a few short years. No offense to anyone, but THAT number does sound old to me right now. I guess I'll just have to live it up in my thirties before I become so decrepit. Oh, and look forward to my big plan to hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu for my fortieth birthday!

This birthday was a very nice one. I was at home in California with so much of my family. Scott had arrived home from his hike the day before allowing the best birthday present I could have asked for . . . . sleeping in the morning of my birthday after being up for a few nights with sick kids!!! Hooray!

It got better from there. I went to meet my dad for lunch at a Peruvian restaurant with Jessica, Krista and my mom. Lomo Saltado! My favorite!
I then spent the afternoon floating on a raft in the pool ALL BY MYSELF. Scott floated with me for awhile, but all the kids were too sick to swim anymore. Sad for them, but oh so heavenly for me!
We had a raging party that evening when my cousin Jennifer arrived with her family of five girls adding to our mix. We had a delicious dinner, more swimming and then a BIG chocolate cake. Couldn't have asked for anything more. So happy.
Me, Bryce and Jennifer blowing out the candles. We all had birthdays that week.
And oh happy day . . . I got a new Hobo wallet from Scott for my birthday. My sister in law, Laura, told me how this wallet "changed her life". Her sisters and mom agreed. I've met a few other women with a Hobo wallet and they all say the same. I'm hoping for the same magical experience for me and my new wallet.
My mom and Rama gave me money for my birthday which I quickly determined would be used to buy the HUGE wall clock I had been eyeing, but didn't feel justified spending the money on. It's big and it's a beauty! I love it. Thank you!
And, last but not least, we got a new piano!! This was not a birthday present, but came along the same time as my birthday and I was the one wanting it so badly. So, technically it was for me. Brielle and I have both started piano lessons. Woo hoo!!!
On to number "38"! Yikes.

5 comments:

Rama said...

Beautiful piano! I'm so happy for you. And tell Scott to get busy and spend some time each day practicing to make up for the time he didn't do it when he was growing up. It would make Mrs. Brough and me so pleased.

Randi said...

Haaaaaaaappy birthday! That lomo saltado looked TASTY!

And you will find me crouching in a corner, sobbing my guts out on my 40th birthday. Your plan of hiking Machu Picchu sounds a lot healthier. Perhaps I should reconsider.

Love you!

laura said...

Are you looking for company on your 40th. We would love to come along... You'll have to ask Scott if we are good hiking companions or not.

(We would definitely bring our own food to Peru so we could avoid a plate of whatever that was you were eating on your big day.)

Kam said...

Happy Birthday, my dear sweet Alicia! I know, 37 sounds kinda old, huh?!

I sooo wish I could have shared that delicious Peruvian lunch. It looks divine! And the pic with your parents is so sweet. I was laughing out loud at Bryce wrapping his whole arms around Brie's (I think it was Brie?) head so she wouldn't help blow out the candles. ha!! The new clock looks awesome! And good luck with the piano. I expect a mini concert next time I come to visit, okay?! :)

Jeni said...

Kamber beat me to it...I am sitting laughing my guts out at Bryce having whatever child that is in a headlock to keep her from blowing out candles. HILARIOUS! Ready for another date, my friend!