Sunday, May 06, 2012

Love / Hate

So, Scott works on Sundays. Last year when he took a new position at work there was a bid for shifts. We looked through the eight options and numbered them in order of what shift we would want. He got his very last choice, which meant working from 7am to 6pm on Sundays. I cried. Really, I did.

I hated the thought of getting the three kids ready for church by 9am on Sunday by myself while pregnant and then adding a baby to that chaos. I really hated the idea of managing the kids on my own during sacrament meeting. And at that point I knew it was going to mean I didn't get to be in Primary anymore. Mostly though, I was so sad to think of Scott not getting to go to church at all. No resting and keeping the sabbath day holy. No family Sunday dinners anymore. I was just mad. So mad.

I still don't like it. Not at all. I hate it. In fact today reminded me of how much I hate it. I was yelling at the kids as we were rushing out the door and into the car already about 5 minutes late for church. We got there and it takes forever just to get everyone out of the car and in the door because Zachary has to "go on the bridge" (the wheel chair ramp) and I have no hands free to chase him. We get to the chapel doors to go in and Kate starts screaming, so instead of going in and sitting down we all march off to the Mother's room to feed baby Kate. She is screaming and they are bouncing around the room while some poor mom was trying to put her baby to sleep. But, what do I do? We finish and all go walking into Sacrament Meeting sooooo late looking anywhere for a seat. Not many left so we all scrunch onto two chairs in the back because no one wanted to sit by Brother Western, because they don't know him. We made it through without any fights and without Kate waking up and me trying to figure out what to do with the other three while I took her out. Phew!

Things are better than I had expected though. We now don't have to be to church until 11am, so getting ready is easy. Zachary is older so is MUCH more manageable. And best of all, Scott usually goes into work early (6am) so that he can take a long lunch break to drive back and go to Sacrament Meeting with us. He is also able to have a calling with the Young Men and be there on Tuesday nights. I still worry about not having Sunday as a day set aside as the Sabbath Day though.

So, there is the hate . . . . but I do LOVE, and I mean love, that Scott has Thursday, Friday and Saturday off. Three whole days in a row! Three days to help around the house, to watch kids while I go shopping, to do fun things together with the fam, to work on projects I have for him, to take afternoon naps together, to come to doctor's appointments, to go on a Thursday afternoon date, to drive kids to school, to leave town on vacation, to take Zachy to Home Depot, to help in Brie's classroom, etc. etc. etc. I mean, really, it's awesome.

A Friday dental appointment that Scott came with us to after he came with me to take Kate to the pediatrician.
Scott joins us for Playgroup with the moms and kids from church every other Friday afternoon.
I get to sleep in the mornings he has off. With a newborn that has been priceless.
A Thursday afternoon at the bowling alley with the family.
Zachary shouting "YES!" after he knocked one pin down.
Brie's celebration.
The others can celebrate all they want, but honestly, Ava kicked everyone's trash at bowling. The girl is good.
She learned from a pro.
Brie spent most of her time spinning like a ballerina loving the slippery, smooth floor.
Kate watched in utter amazement.
A Friday morning at the zoo.
One of the projects around the yard accomplished during one of those days off. A lot gets done around here and I love that.
We will just have to continue loving the days off and hating the Sunday work for a while longer. As one wise older friend said to me when I complained, "At least there is a job to go to and to pay the bills, even if it is on Sunday." I'll just be grateful for a hard working husband and a good job.

2 comments:

Kam said...

Oh my goodness. Your Solo Sundays sound terrible. But good for you for sticking with it and finding the positive! There's a lady in our ward who brings her four kids (newborn included) by herself most weeks. Hard stuff, I tell you. Er... you tell me, I mean.

But the days off during the week sound sooo nice! I bet the kids really enjoy some good Dad time when he's at home, too. Cute bowling and zoo pics!

Rama said...

Our bishop has four little kids, and I just love sitting behind them in church because it so much fun to watch them with their books and toys and snacks. They are very quiet and well behaved! I remember when our five boys were little--if the speaker was really boring, Fred would find a way to take one out into the hall to walk around. I think Scott went out more often than the others.