Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Countdown

So I started the tradition a few years ago of doing something "Christmasy" every day in December as we countdown to Christmas. Our own kind of advent. I haven't felt as up to it all as I have in years past, but I have these darn blog books that have every year recorded and it kind of makes me keep going. So, here we go . . . so that in the future my kids don't think I gave up this year:

1. Annie
Did you know that the story of Annie takes place at Christmas time? I had no idea. Daddy Warbucks has invited Annie to come spend Christmas with him. The movie just shows her coming to stay for a couple of weeks. The story or musical is quite Christmasy though. Perfect.

Fred and Rama receive tickets to the Pioneer Theater because Fred is a professor emeritus. They invited us to go with them on Dec. 1 and we are always happy to double date. This time, Brielle and I went. We sat in the third row, right in the middle and she LOVED it!!!! Honestly, she gets VERY excited. She begged the whole way home to adopt the dog that played Sandy (he comes from a homeless shelter). We loved a night out with Fred and Rama . . . and Annie!

2. Festival of Trees
On Dec. 2 we made our way through the Festival of Trees. As always, everyone got to choose their favorite tree and take a picture by it. Brielle's friend, Emily, joined us for the Festival of Trees, scones, chocolate milk and then the van breaking down in the road on the way home. Fun, fun, fun.
Brielle found a "Happy Birthday" Christmas tree.
My favorite was "A Chocolate Christmas"!Scott liked the Scottish Christmas tree.
3. Decorating The House and Tree

Thankfully, Scott was on the ball with this. He packed up any fall or Thanksgiving decor and hauled out the Christmas bins, forcing me to get to work. We got the house all dolled up (inside and out) and decorated one of our prettiest trees yet on Dec. 3.

4. Cuties
One of my favorite things of this time of year are the treats, especially the bags of little Cuties (clementines) that we go through. We all eat a few a day and love them! Zachary has found pure joy in this also. He can peel and then eat as many as he can get his hands on.



5. Playgroup Christmas Party
Our playgroup (all of my and the kids friends) had our little Christmas party. They got to decorate gingerbread houses, watch a short Christmas movie and have a gift exchange. Brielle came home with her own gift - a Whopee Cushion that they all think is absolutely hilarious!


6. Christmas Around the World
Brie's kindergarten class is learning about "Christmas Around the World". They get a little suitcase (that Scott made when he went to volunteer in the class) and a passport to stamp. They learn about how Christmas is celebrated in other countries. I went into the class on Friday to do a presentation on Christmas in Argentina. They hated the Pan Dulce I brought and they let me know it. After my presentation they got to watch "The Polar Express" (in pajamas) and drink hot chocolate. Good to be a kindergartner, huh?

7. Lights on Temple Square
Somehow, I talked myself, Landon, Sarah, Tawna and Kory into going out in the cold and wandering through the Christmas lights on Temple Square. We had dinner together before and then the kids went crazy, wild running through Temple Square. We packed it in really quick and headed home. It was fun while it lasted.



8. Scott's Work Christmas Party
I was actually invited to a work Christmas party. Can you believe it? The "real" one is tomorrow night at the Grand America with crab legs, top sirloin and every other extravagant food and beverage you can think of. I am not invited to that one. I did go to a very nice separate party just for managers and we had a lovely veggie tray from Costco. (I'm kidding. There was a lot of good food along with the veggie tray and it was quite fun.)

9. Ward Christmas Breakfast

Our ward did a Christmas breakfast. The Primary kids put on a nativity play (that I put together over the past couple of months, but then just got to sit back and watch that morning. Very nice.) Brielle was an angel in the heavenly host of angels and Ava was a piggy in the stable. And then, what before our wondering eyes did appear . . . . . Santa Claus!!!!! Yay!


10. Nutcracker Ballet
This has become a tradition that I really love. Brie and I have gone every year to a local performance of The Nutcracker. This year Ava was so excited to be old enough to join us. I re-thought that as we tried to get out the door and fought over tights and shoes.
Once there though, she was so happy and wanted to know every detail of the story, the costumes, the music, etc. The three (actually four) girls spent a lovely afternoon together at the ballet.

Ava loved it so much that now lucky Zachary gets dressed up, by Ava, so that they can perform ballet dances together for me at home. (Scott loves these pictures.)

3 comments:

Jeni said...

We must plan to do some of these fun things together next year!

laura said...

Love the temple lights. Love the girls day out... all dressed up. And I LOVE that Ava put Zachy in a leotard that matched his eyes so well. He really is quite beautiful. Sorry Scott.

Kam said...

Wow. When you write it out like that, it makes it sound like you're sooooo busy! But then, I think we're probably doing something "festive" almost every day, too... just not doing a "countdown" like this.

Fun pictures! Nutcracker looks like lots of fun... we tried to get tix here, but the cheapest we could find were $100+ ... not happening. ;)

btw, had a dream about you last night. You came to pick me up for school (as in high school, weird.) You were driving a bread truck, and you wouldn't wait for me... made me do a running leap into the truck. Ha!!