Utah. What do I say? It's beautiful. There are some aspects of living in Utah that I question whether I like or not, but the mountains surrounding us are an easy answer. I love them! From the time the snow melts, I look up at the mountains every day wanting to be up there. We are such a short drive up the road from two awesome canyons. I'm so happy taking the kids hiking in them and this year we even got to camp in them!
Donut Falls Hike
This is one we do a lot. It's pretty, it's close and it is so easy for the kids. Brie and Ava quite literally ran the whole way to the falls. Zachary held his own hiking the whole way. It was cloudy and about half way there we started to hear thunder.
As we took this pic in front of the falls, it started to rain. It rained our whole way back. Once Ava was assured that rain drops would not hurt us, it was really beautiful walking through the woods in the down pour.
Camping at the Spruces
The Spruces Campground is just up Big Cottonwood Canyon. I have been wanting to get up there with my tent (Christmas present) and my new camp stove (Birthday present). We waited until everyone else started school and then headed up to a not so crowded campground. The tent was great (it's huge) and the camp stove seemed like high class living compared to how I watched my mom and dad cook meals over the fire growing up. We had such a good time.
After lunch and a nap we went hiking to Lake Blanche. Now, let me say, this is a long hike with a fairly good elevation gain. We knew we would just be going as far as the kids could go and then turn around. It's a hike Scott and I have been wanting to do so we just went to check it out. To our surprise, the kids trooped on for soooooooooo long. It was pretty steep and they hiked up at least 1.5 miles. Zachary walking all on his own. I was so very proud. One day Scott and I will make it all the way to the lake.
Seriously, this kid (23 months) lead the way almost the whole time. We just tried to keep up with him. I sang the "Following The Leader" song right behind him and he swung his arms to the beat and marched up the mountain like he was having the time of his life. Awesome.
Forgot a spatula, so I used a stick.
Just this past Saturday we made our way up Little Cottonwood Canyon to hike Cecret Lake. This is the time when usually the wildflowers are really going strong.
3 comments:
Wonderful hikes and camping! I am so looking forward to camping again. Nice stove, we are discussing getting some nice gear.
That's what I like about living in Utah--so close to beautiful places to hike, camp, etc. I'm glad you are enjoying your family outings, and the kids look like they are having a great time.
I did not see a pic of a moose. Did you mean a huge mouse?
Post a Comment