Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Off To College!

My youngest sister, Krista, packed her bags and loaded into our van to come home with us when we left California. She was headed to start her first semester of school at BYU-Idaho in Rexburg. The oldest (me) got to take the youngest away from home and on to adulthood. We got to Utah, went to church and then continued driving on to Idaho. As I was driving Krista and our cousin Brady up to Rexburg I was more and more scared for them. It looked like I was driving them to the end of the earth. To a frozen, desolate arctic tundra. They both seemed quite excited about Rexburg though . . . even though it was -12 degrees our first night there.

In the morning we got Brady all checked into the Alpine Chalet (memories). And then checked Krista into the dorms (more memories). Everyone was over the top excited to welcome her. I mean very excited.
Her bunk bed with desk underneath.
We got her all moved in and then went to the new and totally amazing Manwaring Center to buy books. The college is so different from when I went there. They've made big changes and additions. It was pretty cool to see it all. Oh, and Krista got all her books and a new backpack for her first day of school.
Then, of course, on to a shopping spree at Walmart . . . . with every single other new student and their parents. The place was a zoo. Krista got to put whatever she wanted in the cart. Thank you Dad.
The old place I HAD to visit was Craigo's Pizza. I'm sorry to break the news to any that lived in Rexburg, but it's not the same. The building is gone and they are now the Pizza Pie Cafe. Most devastating is that they don't serve bread sticks anymore!! Can you even believe it? Those were what I dreamed of. They did however have a dessert pizza that will now occupy my dreams. It was HEAVENLY!We went to the Hart Building for a parent/student meeting with the university president and then it was good bye time. Krista was whisked away to a talent show and a dance and all kinds of hoopla and I hit the road back home singing to Beyonce and eating Jelly Bellies. It was a good time.
And then . . . . exactly one week after arriving to Rexburg we received an excited phone call from Krista that she is coming to visit!!! This weekend.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Yay! Thank you so much for posting this! It is such a wonderful time in Krista's life! I really think that it is fitting that the oldest take the youngest to the Alma Mater! Thank you for doing it! I am happy that she gets to visit this weekend.

Roger said...

Thanks, Alicia, for all you did. And thanks to Scott for holding down the fort while you did it.
When I see the shopping cart full of "stuff," you know why I call this "The Agony and the Ecstasy"

Sue said...

If Craigo's is gone, where did you get the picture?

Rama said...

What an exciting time for Krista. Those college days were surely fun for me. Of course, I went to Utah State and lived in the dorms that I had typed the specifications for when I worked for Grix, Plowgian and Gessel (the contractors) as their secretary way back in 1958. And I was glad that I apparently didn't make any mistakes typing all those numbers and important descriptions. Everything was OK!!