Sunday, August 08, 2010

My First 10K!

On July 24 I ran my first 10K race - The Deseret News 10K. Scott ran it with me. It was Pioneer Day and we joined in ALL the festivities, including the race. We had some of my family staying with us so we were easily able to get up at 5am, put on our running shoes and sneak out the door. The race started up at the U at 6:30am. It was an awesome course in that a lot of it headed downhill and we got to run along the parade route into the finish line. All of the people waiting for the parade cheered us on. I felt great and ran quite easily until mile 5. Then it was tough. I run 5 miles every other day, but don't go past that. I was feeling the extra mile. It was great to go across the finish line though and after I caught my breath I realized how fun the race was. Can't wait to do it again.

Coming to the end.Scott reaching to for my hand to cross the finish line.

5 comments:

Jeni said...

Good for you! And how sweet for Scott to reach for your hand at the finish line! Once I get regulated on my thyroid meds, I'm looking forward to training for a sprint tri. I'm so glad to finally know what has been wrong with me.

Heather J. said...

Congratulations!!! I am thrilled for you--let me know when you want to do an east coast race and I'll do it with you. My parents were in SLC over the 24th and called me from the parade, it's fun to know you were in the same place at the same time. Again, congrats, it's a huge accomplishment, especially training with 3 little ones at home.

Scott B. said...

Congratulations on your first 10k. I am glad I could run it with you. I love you!

Sue said...

Great for you for doing the 10k!

Kam said...

That's awesome! That's actually one of my goals for... sometime. ?? I love that sweet pic of Scottie. How cute! Good job, Alicia!